Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone here studying for patent bar?  (Read 3907 times)

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: anyone here studying for patent bar?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 03:22:59 PM »
Just sent in my appliction for the exam to the USPTO today.  I think I accidently included a copy of my transcript request form with my transcript.

legaleagle3

• View Profile
Wow, thanks for all the response (and yeah jdmaxey, that's great if we keep in touch through here). 

1. RE: Review books
The two "good" review books I found (from talking to a lot of people) are PLI and PRG.  Other ones seems so-so (though other people have succeeded).  Another choice for finding books is craigslist (www.craigslist.com).  I found a very cheap set of books for less than 1/3 of the price.  The downside is you may get "incomplete" stuff (as you would for e-bay) because sometimes, they are not allowed to have the videos or the CD's for so long.

2. RE: registering for the exam
As far as taking the exam is concerned, if you're in Category A (i.e. have science UNDERGRAD background), I hear they take about 2 weeks to respond.  If you're in Category B, they take a bit longer--so you'd definitely need to hand the application form sooner.

3.  my questions
a. In studying for the patent bar, are you actually writing down your own notes regarding the MPEP--or are you mostly trying to get a handle on things via looking things up?
b. How do you tackle practice questions--do you guys use the index primarily?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone.

legaleagle3

• View Profile
good links
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
I just wanted to say that I went all out and spent the $1,600 plus for barbri and do not regret it a bit. The videos are awesome and have really helped put the whole system in perspective. Now I need to get off my rear and register with the PTO for the test. Good luck everyone!

ChicagoBound

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »
Ty, got another question for you. Are you planning on selling your material? If so, what are you going to do about this:

Your credit card or account may be charged an additional $450 if the course CD ROMs or course DVD, as applicable, are not returned within nine months after your purchase of the course.

I'm considering using a one-time use credit card number to avoid being billed later.....any thoughts?

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 09:46:28 AM »
ChicagoBound:

I'm not a lawyer or anything but I believe that would be illegal. Something about fraud and/or theft maybe???  ???

Not to mention that even under a one time use credit card (whatever that is) you would still have to provide personal information that could eventually be tracked back to you. You would eventually be held accountable and your record marked.

I'm not trying to take the pulpit here but are these really the ethics you plan on practicing law with? If you have the money then spring for the reference material. If not then suck it up and study the hard way with the free material you can find online and at the PTO website. You can buy a d**mn good outline from Paul [N] on e-bay for ~$30. Spend the money - save your reputation! It's just not worth it.

jman333

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 03:50:19 PM »
It was just an idea. After thinking about it though, I've decided against it. With regards to ethics, I must admit that it wouldn't exactly tear me up inside......but it's just not worth the potential hassle down the line.

Screw ebay, screw cutting corners, I'm just gonna sack up and buy the frickin thing.

get longacre...999 bucks and prob the best one out there outside a live course

then buy this product with it for 50 bucks and your set
http://www.innovita.us/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/28

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 06:55:17 PM »
how is everyone finding the prep?

enjoyable? mind numbing?

just curious...

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 12:48:29 AM »
im at chapter 2100 in the course and not too confident at this point.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
ch. 600 and also not feeling too confident at this point