Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Goddamn grades  (Read 4030 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Goddamn grades
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »
1st sem grades were very good, 2nd sem grades not so good

i don't know what the hell - i worked even harder 2nd sem - walked out of all four of my finals thinking that i aced them

but alas, i did not

so much for getting a good job. i suppose i should just jump off bridge now? :)

empathize with me people ...

tenth8sphere

Re: Godd**mn grades
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:29:22 PM »
What school and what grades?

I'd be really interested to know what happened, as thinking I'm doing well then bombing is a major fear of mine. Alas, it sounds like you worked harder and were confident... so no real indicators. Damn!

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:07:36 PM »
i dont want to name the school though will say that it is a t20

just finished 1L. grades:

1st sem was a 3.6 - this sem. a 3.2

a fairly substantial drop and definitely takes me out of the "honors" range which is of course very important for 2L SA positions. i suppose the most disappointing thing is that i worked very hard this sem, only to rewarded with a large drop in GPA. makes me think that my time would have been better spent boozing, chasing women, etc. i went out all of 5 times the entire semester... and for what... a mediocre gpa

it's ok, next sem i will make amends (on both fronts!) :)

argh right about now i hate law school.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »
You are still top thirds probably at a 3.4. But being LR material to about top 40% in the second, overall, you are about 25-30% tile, right?

Then again, maybe you missed important issues or important laws or interpretations in the exams. Perhaps you did better, but didn't answer the question exactly as it was asked the first time.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »
yeah i'm sure i f'ed up a few things on teh exams given the drop

though i think that it has more to do with everyone in my class going buckwild this sem and really attacking finals - so much was at stake, LR, fall interview program, etc.

i may have written superior exams compared to frist sem, but if everyone else improved beyond the point of my own improvement the drop in grades is to be expected..

which is sort of the frustrating thing about law school - there is no linear relationshp between your output and your exam success

[and yes, i have that one friend who did jack and nothing last sem and still cleaned up on me in the grades department]

not sure about ranking, definitely still top 50% but probably not top 33%

LR can be forgotten about. i'm so happy that i spent those 5 days of hell writing that useless case note.

Italian2L

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:35:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but I think this happens for most law students.  I always seem to do worse in the Spring semester.  I made Dean's List last semester, while this semester my GPA was a disappointing 2.63...and I worked harder this semester than last.  Don't think that a lot of effort automatically translates into better grades.

So true. I am completely convinced that law school grades are arbitrary and not always related to work and intelligence (unless you are one of the extreme exceptions at either end). I started school with a full scholarship and credentials way better than most of my classmates. 1L I worked my ass off and ended with a 2.7. 2L I didn't work nearly as hard and got a 3.8, including two jurisprudence awards. Granted the curve is better in 2L, but its not THAT much better and the curve doesn't explain the jurisprudence awards. On top of that, the classes that I have done the worst in have consistently been the ones in which I was most engaged and was convinced that I aced the test.

aey4l

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »
T. Durden...at least you have all your grades.

I am still waiting on ONE and if my section (the smallest at our school) is the last to get our grade again I'm going to be PISSED!

And unfortunately, I know that 3.4 wasn't top 35% b/c my good friend had one last semester.
GW 1L

colforbin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 04:50:12 PM »
Wow! 3.4 isn't top 35%?  It seems that it would be at my school (Whittier). Here they barely give out any A's at all and the median is something like a 78%.

Dip827

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »
Wow! 3.4 isn't top 35%?  It seems that it would be at my school (Whittier). Here they barely give out any A's at all and the median is something like a 78%.

same here i go to touro and 3.285 fall semester was top 15%

lawchick25

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
My grades were fairly the same-

I did well first semester- got an A+, B+, and my two midterms were: A and A-

Second semester (all finals)- A+, A-, A-, A, B+

so i have around a 3.8 and I think that is in top five percent although i could be wrong.

I worked super hard fall and spring semesters, except I had a better quality of life spring semester cause I didn't stress out as much.