Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Answers to a few questions I posed a UT friend of my wife who just completed 1L.  (Read 2822 times)

Felsen

• View Profile
I talked a bit with her again last night, since she called when my wife wasn't available.

She remembers getting her schedule either the last week of July, or the first week of August.  She doesn't think that our booklist gets mailed till a week or two later.  We should know our society sometime between 2-4 weeks before Orientation starts.

Out of the class of 400ish, we are divided into 4 sections of 100-110 or so.  We will be sharing all of our classes with people from that section.  Each section is then divided into two societies each.  Our society will have a Faculty advisor.  Each section is then divided into two small groups of around 25.  Each small group will have a 2L or 3L mentor.  This is the small group for the small group class 1L year.

We will still be receiving more information about Orientation.  She mentioned that there is a packet with more details that we'll be getting around the start of August.  That might be where the section and society information is contained as well.

She got her Financial Aid money before the first day of classes, though some people did have to wait two weeks.  She doesn't know if that's because she called the Financial Aid office a few times during August to make sure everything was in order, or the other students didn't have things turned in on time or done properly, or if there were lender issues.  While you may have to foot some living expenses money, you can just do a defer to financial aid form for the tuition till financial aid arrives.  You then make up the difference in financial aid and tuition (since there are some loan fees taken out of the loan amount).  If you search the UTexas site (not Law site) for "Defer to Financial Aid" you'll see a few topics come up.  That's probably what she's talking about.

Felsen

• View Profile
Out of the class of 400ish, we are divided into 4 sections of 100-110 or so.  We will be sharing all of our classes with people from that section. 

Not to be Debbie Downer, but we'll also be sharing our curve with them.

Aye, but there's only a 1 in 4 chance of being in with Margee, so you may be safe.  That's the thing that is strangest to me.  Even though we've all been chatting here, we may end up split across entirely different sections, and with different classes.

margee

Out of the class of 400ish, we are divided into 4 sections of 100-110 or so.  We will be sharing all of our classes with people from that section. 

Not to be Debbie Downer, but we'll also be sharing our curve with them.

Aye, but there's only a 1 in 4 chance of being in with Margee, so you may be safe.  That's the thing that is strangest to me.  Even though we've all been chatting here, we may end up split across entirely different sections, and with different classes.

???  when did I get labeled the curve-killer?   ::) :D

margee

Felsen

• View Profile
Someone has to be labelled the curve-killer, Margee.  I've seen myself in the mirror.  My curve is still very much present.  I do hope to get it reduced by the time school starts, but I find it very presumptuous of myself to think I'll have killed it by then.

margee

:D

I was so very tempted to make a sassy reply, but I managed to resist *sigh* :-X