Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Canned Briefs  (Read 4049 times)

ChuckNorris

• View Profile
Best Canned Briefs
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
So I just got my book list for the upcoming fall, and I'll be ordering all of the books online so I can save some money.  However, I didn't realize until I started looking up all of the prices that there were so many canned brief series out there.  Which series should I go with?  I'd like to buy all of the same series so that I'll be familiar with the way the books are laid out, but I really just want the best/most helpful.

Thanks everybody!

JustAnotherLawStudent

• View Profile
Re: Best Canned Briefs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:28:41 PM »
Sometimes it depends on the book, the prof and what you're looking for...but, here are the ones I used:

High Court Case Summaries: (my favorite) I liked it b/c has little cartoons that help you remember the cases at a glance; fairly good case analysis, too (I used it for constitutional law and made an A)

LegalLines: pretty good- it basically integrates a course outline into the case briefs, which can really help (I used it for contracts, got a B)

Casenote Legal Briefs- personally, I found to be the least helpful, but the most convenient b/c you can get electronic access to the case briefs online (after you send in the UPC from the back of the book, they e-mail you a password to access them....but one time, I didn't get the e-mail until almost the end of the semester....)

If you're looking for just electronic case briefs, you may want to check out:

ROMLAW (http://www.romlawonline.com/).  The site looks terrible, but you can download a trial for free, and see what you think.  I found it somewhat helpful (although the case briefs are sometimes way too long & include alot of the author's opinion)

I hope this helps..
Good Luck

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 01:42:03 AM »
best quality = probably high court
best deal = romlaw (you get canned briefs for EVERY subject for like $40 or $50 total, whereas you would pay at least $20 per course otherwise times 5 or 6 courses in your first year)

p.s. ive never used legalines.

legallyliz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:04:54 PM »
bump  :D

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 01:32:29 AM »
Book brief

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »
What is the difference between canned briefs / outlines and E&E's?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »
briefs - summaries of the case, essentially, broken out into different portions of the information such as procedural posture, lower court holding, this court's holding, etc.

outlines - an overall view of the topic area presented in outline form; generally they have a general view and then sections that go into greater detail of specific areas

E&E - as the name says, examples and explanations; examples of different aspects of an area of law with questions and then explanations of the answers

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
You will really do yourself a disservice if you use canned briefs the first year.
I've used them a few times when I was in a crunch and didn't get to read the cases very thoroughly, and I can honestly say that I didn't get anything out of them, the way I get stuff out of actually briefing the cases. After your first year, I think they are fine, but give yourself at least your first semester to actually learn how to read and brief cases. It will make you a much better thinker.

I think the E and E series is fantastic though. They aren't canned briefs but they do break the material down and make it manageable. They have been my lifesavers in several classes.

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:06:38 PM »
I read, then brief, then ROMLAW it so I am fully prepped for class.  It's a good program, and it is cheap, but there is a lot of author opinion mixed in.  Also, the brief are fairly not-brief.  There are some ROMLAW briefs that are almost as long as the cases themselves.

But I will stress as others do:  don't use ROMLAW to come up with a brief.  Brief yourself, and then read what ROMLAW has to say.