Law School Discussion

Best Canned Briefs

Best Canned Briefs
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
So I just got my book list for the upcoming fall, and I'll be ordering all of the books online so I can save some money.  However, I didn't realize until I started looking up all of the prices that there were so many canned brief series out there.  Which series should I go with?  I'd like to buy all of the same series so that I'll be familiar with the way the books are laid out, but I really just want the best/most helpful.

Thanks everybody!

Re: Best Canned Briefs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:28:41 PM »
Sometimes it depends on the book, the prof and what you're looking for...but, here are the ones I used:

High Court Case Summaries: (my favorite) I liked it b/c has little cartoons that help you remember the cases at a glance; fairly good case analysis, too (I used it for constitutional law and made an A)

LegalLines: pretty good- it basically integrates a course outline into the case briefs, which can really help (I used it for contracts, got a B)

Casenote Legal Briefs- personally, I found to be the least helpful, but the most convenient b/c you can get electronic access to the case briefs online (after you send in the UPC from the back of the book, they e-mail you a password to access them....but one time, I didn't get the e-mail until almost the end of the semester....)

If you're looking for just electronic case briefs, you may want to check out:

ROMLAW (  The site looks terrible, but you can download a trial for free, and see what you think.  I found it somewhat helpful (although the case briefs are sometimes way too long & include alot of the author's opinion)

I hope this helps..
Good Luck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:42:03 PM »
best quality = probably high court
best deal = romlaw (you get canned briefs for EVERY subject for like $40 or $50 total, whereas you would pay at least $20 per course otherwise times 5 or 6 courses in your first year)

p.s. ive never used legalines.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:04:54 PM »
bump  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:32:29 PM »
Book brief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:19:59 PM »
What is the difference between canned briefs / outlines and E&E's?

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 11:27:21 AM »
briefs - summaries of the case, essentially, broken out into different portions of the information such as procedural posture, lower court holding, this court's holding, etc.

outlines - an overall view of the topic area presented in outline form; generally they have a general view and then sections that go into greater detail of specific areas

E&E - as the name says, examples and explanations; examples of different aspects of an area of law with questions and then explanations of the answers

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
You will really do yourself a disservice if you use canned briefs the first year.
I've used them a few times when I was in a crunch and didn't get to read the cases very thoroughly, and I can honestly say that I didn't get anything out of them, the way I get stuff out of actually briefing the cases. After your first year, I think they are fine, but give yourself at least your first semester to actually learn how to read and brief cases. It will make you a much better thinker.

I think the E and E series is fantastic though. They aren't canned briefs but they do break the material down and make it manageable. They have been my lifesavers in several classes.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »
I read, then brief, then ROMLAW it so I am fully prepped for class.  It's a good program, and it is cheap, but there is a lot of author opinion mixed in.  Also, the brief are fairly not-brief.  There are some ROMLAW briefs that are almost as long as the cases themselves.

But I will stress as others do:  don't use ROMLAW to come up with a brief.  Brief yourself, and then read what ROMLAW has to say.