Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Judicial Externship or Internships (non-paying)  (Read 1255 times)

Orion

• View Profile
Judicial Externship or Internships (non-paying)
« on: June 09, 2006, 04:28:10 PM »
Does being a part-time law student hinder your chances of getting a Judicial Externship, or a non-paying internship (possibly government)  In addition, has anyone researched smaller law firms in their schoolís area and contacted them about donating your services a couple days a week during their 1L summer?  How probable is it that a firm would take someone on like this?

Bobo

• View Profile
Re: Judicial Externship or Internships (non-paying)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:34:59 PM »
I donít think that being part time will make it any more difficult.  I am a FT student who is an extern, and a few of the other externs are part time students.  I think the main thing is that you have to be able to take some time off of your present job.  If your job is OK with that then the court should be as well.  Also, my externship is PT, and I would think that most part time judicial externships want you to work during the day, so you would have to be able to take about 16-20 hours off a week during the day from your regular job.

Dunno about smaller firms.

Orion

• View Profile
Re: Judicial Externship or Internships (non-paying)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 06:04:38 AM »
Thanks...Another question, what is a primary source for judicial externships? Obviously your schools professional development office, but are there other sources?  I'm just concerned about possible credit requirements that I may not meet being a PT student, but if there where other sources, I would likley contact them about donating my time for experience.  I have no illusions about my 1L summer...I know I wont be in a 2K a week firm job...but I would like to at least be able to donate my time somewhere (legal related) in order to get something on the resume.