Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Describe your responsibilities...  (Read 2977 times)

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Describe your responsibilities...
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
I'm curious what sorts of experiences folks are having/have had in their 1L summer jobs, particularly if you worked in PI/government (DA/US Attorney's offices, Judges' chambers, etc.) What sorts of responsibilities were you given in those offices, and what was your day-to-day life like?
Northwestern 2010!

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Describe your responsibilities...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:40:43 AM »
Anyone? Please? :)
Northwestern 2010!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 04:24:46 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:30:36 AM »
Interesting. I assume you're making little or no money through this; is that a big problem for you, or how have you managed it?
Northwestern 2010!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 11:23:42 AM »
Air Force JAG Corps

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:00:29 PM »
I'm working for our law school's clinic. It is awesome. We get paid $9/hr, get to interview clients, write letters negotiating settlements, draft/file complaints, and generally "handle" every aspect of the case. We even have a huge class action about to be filed. Overall it's great experience and the hours are very flexible, but mostly 9-5.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
i work 11-4, non-paid, at a sports representation firm.  i "check in" with clients, do some work with endorsements/marketing, attend camps trying to find the next diamond-in-the-rough, and look for possible loopholes when our clients (inevitably) get themselves into legal trouble.
post-3L

brinkmtf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »
Onepoint--

How did you ge your job and what agency do you work for?  Do you think not getting paid was worth the experience/networking opportunities in the sports law field?  Any tips on how to go about getting a sports related job post-1L?

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
i got my position mostly because of knowing the "right" people, so to speak.  i have a background in pro sports, and networking with people i had met along the way afforded me a hookup with my current company.

as far as i am concerned, i am positive that the lack of pay will be well worth the experience/networking opportunities.  you just can't get an idea of what this field is like until you're dealing with the in's/out's on a daily basis; that being said, i love it so far.

the company that i work for actually runs a sports representation firm and a 'traditional' general practice law firm.  we have two interns here in this office: i lean more toward the sports end and the other intern handles more of the legal work.  the other intern is actually completing an externship right now after finishing his 3L.  i believe one of the attorneys here is from the same school, so i'm assuming that's how the other intern got in.

as far as tips go, i'd recommend tracking down school alumni that are involved in sports in some manner, along with blanketing firms that do any type of sports work.  i know that my recommendation isn't exactly ground-breaking, but it's the truth.. i guess there's just a decent amount of luck involved in getting into this business.  and once you're there, work hard.  yesterday my boss asked if i would be interested in working part-time (paid) during this coming fall semester as a 2L.  i can't pass it up.
post-3L

ggg458

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 01:54:18 PM »
one point- would you mind telling us what state you live in?