Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of law are you pursuing?  (Read 2448 times)

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What kind of law are you pursuing?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »
I'm interested in a career in academia, first and foremost -- but if that doesn't work out, I'm probably interested most in mid- to large-size firms, at least initially (big pay, big experience), with the outside possibility of hanging my own shingle later on (unless the possibility of partner looks promising).

If the academia thing pans out, then the areas I'm most interested in (academically) are international/comparative law, jurisprudence and legal theory (including Critical Legal Studies), law & religion, and some aspects of property law.

If I go into practice, then I'm pretty open to practicing in any area at that mid- to large-size firm -- whatever work they give me, and whatever catches my fancy at the moment. I have very little interest in criminal law, though. Prosecution doesn't pay anything, and defense carries too many moral dilemmas.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 03:39:31 PM »
I've personally ruled out any of the dual degree programs.  I don't want to add on another year of school for it, and I think its of questionable value.  They might open up a few jobs where the employer is looking for a specialty employee.  One thing I really like about law, is its versatility.  If my employer needs it, I can write up patent applications one day, work on divorce proceedings the next, and sit in a board room on the third day telling Enron executives that what they're doing is illegal.  

Wait, I can't do the third one anymore unless we switch the name of the company.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
I doubt I'll ever actually have a job beyond first or second year where I'll abe doing cases all across the board.  Even then, it'll just be so I can nail down exactly which area I want to do.  I just find it kind of amazing that all you need is to pass the state bar, and you are then allowed to do almost any kind of legal case.

Specialization is definitely where it is at.  You get the reputation you need to excel in that area.  From the panels I've heard, you gain a pretty bad reputation if you are willing to do every job that comes across your plate.  You end up not ever referring cases to other lawyers, so they'll never refer cases to you either.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
Specialization vs. Generalization...

I'll probably specialize because I have to do so.  I wish there were more room for Generalists in this world, but there isn't.  That is one of the reasons why I may end up trying to work in corporate law, perhaps as General Counsel for a company.  It sounds like there is more possibilities for cross-specialization work in those jobs.  Even if General Counsel has to go to a firm to do certain specifics, they probably still have to learn and assist enough on the decision-making to satiate my desire for a diverse job experience.