Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of law are you pursuing?  (Read 2385 times)

Felsen

• View Profile
What kind of law are you pursuing?
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »
What kind of law job are you planning on pursuing when you graduate?

I am primarily interested in patent law.  My secondary interests are the remainder of intellectual property law, corporate law, and international law.

Right now I am leaning towards working at a big law firm.  They pay the most money, have the best benefits packages, and appear to also be the best places to gain experience.  I don't really want to live and work in a big city, though.  So I'll be shooting for the secondary and satellite offices in locations such as Dallas, Nashville, and Phoenix.

I'd really like to consider a judicial clerkship, but I'm not sure its the best choice for me and my family.

I don't know if I'd ever open up my own office.  I've never been into sales or marketing, so it scares me to think of having to round up enough paying customers to support myself in that line of work.

margee

Re: What kind of law are you pursuing?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »
Primary goal: prosecution
Secondary goal: working for the federal government.

I could do in-house counsel for a corporation or general counsel for some branch of the government, but what I really want to do is DOJ followed by ADA.  (not following chronologically, but following in interest)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:43:04 PM »
Wow.  This destroys all of my previous notions of you being such a fun-loving person.  I will have to form a new respect for you as a hard-nosed prosecutor who wants to put people in jail for some hard time.

;)

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »
My primary goal, in fact my only goal, is prosecution in the Philly area.  I would love, LOVE to be a judge one day.

sorry for commenting on the Austin board, I don't go here, I didn't notice that I was in there until after I posted, I just use the last 200 topics button all the time.

margee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
Wow.  This destroys all of my previous notions of you being such a fun-loving person.  I will have to form a new respect for you as a hard-nosed prosecutor who wants to put people in jail for some hard time.

;)

::)

:D

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »
sorry for commenting on the Austin board, I don't go here, I didn't notice that I was in there until after I posted, I just use the last 200 topics button all the time.

That's all right.  I figured you had found us through a list like that.  They should probably remove the school boards from being displayed in that list.

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »
I'll looking at litigation of some kind. Ultimately, I think I'd like to be a defense attorney, but I'd kind of like to be a district attorney somewhere someday.

I'm also toying with international law.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »
So everyone other than me likes the idea of being in courtrooms a lot.  I wouldn't mind being in courtrooms, but it seems like it is mostly criminal prosecution and defense that spend the most time there.  I am not interested in criminal law at all.  If I were, I'd be right up there with Margee trying to lock people up for life or longer.  You are planning on being a prosecutor who's tough on crime and not one of them softies, right Margee?   :o

margee

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:41:11 PM »

yeah, something like that.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »

yeah, something like that.

Already practicing your non-committal comments, eh?  You sure you aren't planning on running for office then?  'Cause I'm looking for someone in our class who'll run for President so I can start promoting myself for the Chief Justice job.   ;D