Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I go anywhere?  (Read 1566 times)

agaman

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I go anywhere?
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:55:03 PM »

I have a 3.38 1L gpa from a #25-35 ranked school. Is there any point in trying to transfer to somewhere higher?

In terms of non t-14's ranked higher than my school, there are a few whose geographical location I'd prefer (primarily Vandy or UT), but other than that, if at all possible, I'd prefer to go to a T-14. That sounds probably ludicrous given my poor GPA, I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had prior experience or had heard of anyone transferring.

Thanks!

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I go anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »
what's your class rank?
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

agaman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 12:08:04 AM »

My school doesn't publish rank, but the top 30% GPA for first semester was 3.42 I think

tenth8sphere

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:05:20 AM »
No.

I mean, you can give it a shot, and if you have the money for the apps and the time, why not? But transferring into a school is harder than gaining normal admission, from what I can see. The lowest into class rank I've heard of Tier 1's accepting in a transfer is 15%, so I think you're outside the range.

The good news is, you're at a tier 1, in the top half (I think) of your class. You'll have tons of doors open to you, and life ain't gonna be hard if you keep it up.

agaman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 01:16:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice - that's pretty much the way I feel; I can waste the money and maybe transfer, but then again, with no scolarship $$, I don't think it'd be too smart to transfer unless it was to a clearly superior school, which I'm sure I wouldn't get into. I hope you're right about many doors being open though. I estimate i'm in the top 35-40% of the class if that would provide anymore information.

P.S. Upon re-reading the title of my thread, I didn't mean to say "can I go anywhere I choose" - It was more "would I be able to successfully transfer" If anyone thought that sounded slightly pompous

legaleagle3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »
If I was in your spot, I would go for it (primarily aiming for outside top 14 and perhaps those that are looking for transfers [i.e. those that accept a decent amount of transfers just not a few slots for those that leave).  You have to weigh it heavily though should you get accepted as you have benefits in staying and already having strong record from a solid school.  While it is tough to transfer out, with a solid record (as top 1/3) from a solid tier 1 school will absolutely help.

I am in a somewhat similar position but slightly higher ranked school (20-25) and lower grades.  If my grades were higher, I would certainly apply.  You can also talk very frankly with your admissions dean as he/she may be able to give you some advice.  Good luck.