Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 128694 times)

Dolce-n-Gabbana

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #600 on: April 21, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »

Exactly, a sick body is a sick body is a sick body. What difference does it make whether it's black or white?

The human body is not unlike an automobile.

Thus, doctors, like mechanics, do take better care when working on a BMW than on a Volkswagen!

I doubt it white people would feel flattered by this comment, even though you are certainly trying to be sympathetic to them.

A totally idiotic comment, no doubt about it!

I see these comments were made regarding physicians who work in inner city areas and the like - and that they are compelled to work there, given the fact that they've graduated either from Caribbean medical schools or are international medical graduates, hence deemed to be less brilliant than the American counterparts.. Since this is a law students website I will direct you to a post describing how false the belief that grads from higher-tier law schools are smarter and more intelligent -

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=3003847.msg3031460#msg3031460

Strange in fact that the moderators would allow posts about physicians and residencies!

Primavera

• View Profile
Re: Now brain drain from Britain to India
« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

[...] These include Indian doctors who came to the UK some years ago and are now choosing to return home for better working conditions. [...]

I'm wondering what was it that sounded so strange about it?

UK is a much more developed country where they can, generally speaking, earn much more than back in their native country, India.

Are you sure that's why the question was asked in the first place, Jon?

krow

• View Profile
Re: "The Company Men"
« Reply #602 on: May 22, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »

I am a foreign doctor (originally from Iraq) who was laid off several years back by my employer who sponsored my J-1 visa (I won the lottery fortunately that is how I got the residency) I remember it very well how hard it was to find employment - any type of employment - I guess it was because of my language skills that I got a job to survive during those hard years (I was employed by a contractor in need of translation services from Dari to English - Dari is the name given to classical Persian poetry and court language, as well as to Persian dialects spoken in Afghanistan. Various dialects of Dari are also spoken by a few people in Iran and by many in Pakistan.

There are no easy answers today, in this economy. Have you watched the movie, "The Company Men," per chance? There is a moment when Phil Woodward (Mr. Cooper), a 30-year employee who is pushing 60 after having worked his way up from the factory floor to an executive suite begs another company's exec to give him any job - even if the one that his friend was taking about was a killer job involving international travel several times a month, a job that the man told Phil he wouldn't be allowed to offer to anyone less than 30.

ItalIa

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

In Europe, the state pays for the institutional costs of instruction; students pay little or no tuition, but are responsible for living costs; and most universities are public.

In the US, by contrast, student loans have become the most profitable, uncompetitive, oppressive, and predatory type of debt of any in the nation. This has occurred due to legislation that was largely paid for by the the lobbying machine of Sallie Mae, the largest student loan company in America. Vast personal fortunes are being made by both Sallie Mae executives, and others who paid for this legislation, at the expense of decent citizens who were not able to capitalize on their education. This has effectively crippled MILLIONS of decent citizens who want to repay their original debt, but are prevented from doing so by staggeringly higher amounts being demanded from them by both "non-profit", and for-profit student loan companies.

Indeed, the educational system in America is run as a business that traps the unwary, the student and their parents. Here it is an interesting site:

http://nplusonemag.com/bad-education
I belong to me

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Does anyone know how students who took the new Interactive exam writing course offered by [redacted] did?  It looks interesting and is cheaper than most since it lasts all year.

I heard that it actually not only lowers your test scores, but damages your brain to the point that you will then try to make money spamming internet discussion boards.

URL removed - IrrX

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 31, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »

I heard that it actually not only lowers your test scores, but damages your brain to the point that you will then try to make money spamming internet discussion boards.

lol

lerrygibson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
ahem ahem... Yes I am happy, That I opt for LAW school, I recently completed my 1L and looking forward for a good future :)

apostille

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »

By SAIRA RAO

December 31, 2006 -- The city largest, most prestigious law firms are suffering from serious brain drain. Young, Gen-X lawyers in their third to fifth year in the business are walking away from their $200,000-a-year positions in record numbers -- at times without another job in view. The reason? They are unhappy with their Blackberry lifestyle -- being tethered to the job 24/7 and having to rush back to the office at a moment notice when e-mail orders pop up on the ubiquitous PDA. The exodus of law firm associates is unprecedented, according to NALP which found that 37% of associates leave large firms within the first 3 years. A whopping 77% of associates leave within 5 years, according to NALP latest survey. That is up sharply from recent years, and the resulting brain drain is wrecking havoc on law firms.

There is a significant drain on your potential as a firm if you cannot mitigate it, says Mike, a partner at a 400-plus lawyer Big Apple firm, said of the young legal eagle exodus. Mike, like many lawyers interviewed for this story, spoke only if neither they or their firm were identified, fearing client losses. While increased attrition is a typical effect of a relatively healthy economy, Mike claimed, It would be a mistake to say it is all driven by the economics. The big-firm brain drain is also giving partners a major case of agita -- forcing them to do the yeoman grunt work usually assigned to associates. In addition, the firms are being forced to scramble to fill the mid-level talent void. Some are even doing the previously unheard of -- hiring from second-tier law schools.

John, a fifth year associate at a prominent Wall Street firm, is, like many young lawyers, walking out the door. He is leaving for a coveted in-house position at an investment bank. \'I am just waiting for my bonus,\' the 31-year-old says. In fact, the next major wave of legal brain drain will occur over the next few weeks as young lawyers jump ship after collecting their bonus checks. \'It is the mid-levels, the 3rd through 5th years that are leaving, so you are losing people you have spent lots of money on training, and just as they start to run things, they leave, and firms become less profitable, Mike, the partner, adds. John, the associate ready to leave, notices the effect of the mid-level brain drain at his own firm. Gone, he said, is the traditional pyramid of power, from the numerous first-year associates up to select first-year partners.

It is gone from a pyramid to a strange hourglass shape, John says. It is bizarre. Now you will see deal teams with a partner and a first-year associate, with nobody in the middle. You should see the partners. They are doing the work of mid-levels to pick up the slack. And even though they make over $1 million, they never see their family. There is little reward in that for me. Tagg Grant, 31, could not agree more. The self-described \'recovering lawyer\' removed himself from firm life last year, as a third-year corporate associate. I did not want to sleep on my office floor anymore or wonder if I had a change of underwear somewhere in my file cabinet, he says.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12312006/business/lawyers__fun__money_business_saira_rao.htm?page=1

LOLS the story SURE has CHANGED...draaaastically...si nce THAT article was written huh?  What a difference a couple years makes!

The link does not work anymore .. so I can not read the full article .. but what are you trying to say .. that the story has changed for better? for worse???

appropriate

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:54 AM »

Well, I don't think it's a big deal, 0.9999999999999... is pretty much 1, it's not exactly 1, but it is still very very close to... :)

0.9999999999999 is a process - as long as you continue on that route it never equals 1 - it is when you decide to stop that it becomes equal to 1.

M e r i a

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 08, 2011, 05:17:44 AM »

Yeah, we're going to have f-in' babies... haha

Don't take the babies thing lightly! Take a look here,

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,33732.0.html

As I understand it, you don't have to actually go with a guy to have a baby. I think I am goin' for it! ;)

Mother here ... I was like, do I post post this, or is it better not to post it at all ... but then, I thought, I'm gonna post it anyway ... I am aware that talking about two men having a baby sounds crazy and that several posters on this board may ridicule the idea ... now, I don't know if I'm being naive, but science has made possible for us things that 50 years ago we'd think were impossible ... my question is - is this something that scientists are working on and that they are bound to bring to fruition? I have a son who's gay, who very much loves his partner  - I know deep down myself he loves children, it's just that he does not go with women. I sometimes 'rave' he might have a biological child with his partner, his boyfriend ... now I wonder, is this just a poor woman's imagination, or something that will come true sooner or later?