Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 126113 times)

kind law

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »

Not really, helga, you break even in the example shown above only after 35 years. If you pay $215,800 in interest that means that $900 a month out of the $2,150 monthly payment has gone to the bank's pockets and you'd pay $1,250 to rent the same house. This means that you could pay the same amount of rent for another 14-15 years using the $215,000 amount that you paid in interest. It is only then that you'd need additional money to cover the rent.

In actuality, this example may have a pretty good ROI (return on investment), close to 30%; for instance, if you take the mortgage when you're, say 30, you'll be breaking even at 65, having 10 years to "make profits," that is to say not pay rent (with the average life expectancy 75 years) -- you'd make $150,000 profit on a $515,000 investment.   

The problem is that most mortgages nowadays extend over a 30 year period. 

Well, after you're gone your kids will inherit the house, so there's more profit than you describe here.

Well, I guess you were less lucky than your children will hopefully be..

papabear

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2007, 03:58:41 AM »
LOL kindlaw ;)

ad astra per alia porci

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »

The College of Business offers a certification in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigation which is only a four course load offered during the summer. I am also thinking of completing solely this in lieu of the MBA.

That's a very good idea. People should really consider completing degrees like MA and MS in an appropriate area of study. My buddy, for instance, did an MIS -- which is part of the business school, differing from CS programs and emphasizing management coursework and business computing courses. He found a position as database analyst and is responsible for maintaining key databases and worksheets for reporting and analytical purposes grossing some $60K a year.

Nicorino

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 04, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »

Exactly, a sick body is a sick body is a sick body. What difference does it make whether it's black or white?

The human body is not unlike an automobile.

Thus, doctors, like mechanics, do take better care when working on a BMW than on a Volkswagen!

That's correct from the perspective of the automobile in need of repairs; I'm not so sure it is correct from the viewpoint the mechanic.

whitearbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
I was just told by a friend of mine who's a field engineer at a big local construction firm that high-school graduates who get a license to operate heavy machinery end up with around $80k per year salary in a relatively low cost of living area (SE Virginia). Contrast that to a ~$35-45k (upwards of $60k for certain agencies if you're lucky) per year starting salary at a Federal position after 4 years of college and 3 years of law school in a high cost market like DC.

Felt like an idiot after hearing that, $60k college and $20k for a year of law school after. Don't get me wrong, operating heavy machinery is prolly not something I would've done anyway... but sheesh.
Accepted: *W&M$$*, W&L, GWU, GMU, Richmond
Waitlisted: UVA
Rejected: Duke

3.59(3.65 final)/165

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
^^^ totally understand. I found out that union workers that do welding make like 100k a year out of high school.

Maybe you should consider moving to a better market after law school?

ayn

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »
Exactly - garbage collectors make smth like $50K a year and they don't have to complete even high school.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
Exactly - garbage collectors make smth like $50K a year and they don't have to complete even high school.
Yes but a garbage collector that is a high school drop out will never make any more that that unless he deals drugs or has the street smarts to build a successful legal business that is legal. 

What is your potential max as a J.D.? Even if you are average you may max at $100k, and work 9 - 5 in an air conditioned office.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

r a m s e y

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2007, 12:06:49 AM »
I guess that's what "ayn" says, Gwiz, although in a "kinky" way.

theblackemma

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 24, 2007, 06:25:53 PM »

The human body is not unlike an automobile.

Thus, doctors, like mechanics, do take better care when working on a BMW than on a Volkswagen!

There's a difference in that the under-/uninsured predominantly black people go the inner city hospitals served by the physicians you're talking about, while the predominantly middle-class white people go to different hospitals staffed by the other physicians. I'd have to agree, though, that dealing with black patients is not that different from dealing with the predominantly black defendants in court.