Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 129496 times)

Consideration

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:47 PM »
what happened to the topic

playhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2007, 05:42:35 PM »

Equally important, almost all training slots filled by IMGs are in teaching hospitals in large urban areas that have traditionally served large numbers of minorities, uninsured, and low-income patients. It is a bit easier for US-IMGs compared to non-US IMGs. The latter, for example, who usually are on J-1 Visas (with 80% of these physicians actually staying in the US) are compelled to practice in designated rural or inner city physician shortage areas in order to have the "2-year return" requirement for J-1 visa waived. Both the initial training location and the subsequent service locations of IMGs frequently put them in minority communities where other doctors are scarce. In essence IMGs provide primary care to poor and underserved populations, with many inner-city hospitals in the U.S. relying almost exclusively on IMGs to provide services to America's poor.

It is true that the average national annual salaries for Internal Medicine is some $160K and $145 for Family Practice as opposed to $340K for Cardiology and $350K for Radiology -- after all, this is the reason why US med grads with huge student loans take up these specialties, while IMGs with much less or nil loans do not mind taking up primary care.

Typically Primary Care pays in Houston, TX around $150K, in Miami and New York and L.A. $170K. [...]

So basically you really can make a lot of money as a physician treating n-word patients?!

Soon2be1L

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:21 AM »
THREAD HIJACKERS SUCK!! ;)

Anyway- first year will be done tomorrow- am I glad I went? What a loaded question!

First, as of right now- no, I'm not glad I went- I feel like my brain is in a mixing bowl being whisked in two directions and there's no relief in sight!  When mixed with impleader, supplemental jurisdiction, res judicata issues, JOINDER SUCKS!!
As does calculating damages under the Restatement 2d!!

Ask me this question about a month AFTER I get my grades and I'll be able to give you a valid response...

;)

The Negotiator

• Currently RETAINED.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2007, 06:27:02 AM »

I tend to believe USMLE scores do not matter that much, provided you get a passing score (185 I believe) -- just like the case is with state bar exams.

money, it's not the same thing ... when you apply for residency it's just like you're applying to medical school, or law school ... you're being evaluated by the program directors in terms of your med school GPA, USMLE Step 1 & 2 scores, resume, recommendations, and so on.

Yearwise, it looks smth like this,

Law school --> 4...3(bar exam)
Med school --> 4...4...(USMLE)...3-7
"Don't take this personally, but I don't think you can afford me."

I can be retained for individual cases. To arrange, please visit The Negotiator's HQ

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »
For those just finishing up 1L, congrats! So, whether you're glad you went or not, perhaps you can pass along some advice? As an incoming 1L, I'm wondering:

-What was the hardest part of 1L (that maybe you didn't think was going to be hard, but was?)
-What was the easiest (or least hard)?
-Study groups -- good/bad?
-Anything that really surprised you that you didn't expect?

sweeney601

• AOL Instant Messenger - sweeney601
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sweeney601
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »
Anything is better than becoming a statistic lol. ;D

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »
-Hardest part of being a 1L: Staying positive while being on a forced curve.

-Easiest part: Finding fun things to do to distract oneself from the above pain.

-Study Groups: Didn't do it myself -- preferred to learn things at my

Soon2be1L

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2007, 11:21:28 AM »
-What was the hardest part of 1L (that maybe you didn't think was going to be hard, but was?) The time it takes away from your life

-What was the easiest (or least hard)? Sitting in class during lectures-really wasn't bad at

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2007, 01:43:33 PM »
-What was the hardest part of 1L (that maybe you didn't think was going to be hard, but was?) The time it takes away from your life

-What was the easiest (or least hard)? Sitting in class during lectures-really wasn't bad at all

-Study groups -- good/bad? depends on you and who your group is

-Anything that really surprised you that you didn't expect? The pickiness of some professors

Allow me to expand on these (basically correct) answers:
1. You're a 1L. You have no life. Or, more correctly, the law is your life. If, midway through the semester, you find yourself doing kegstands, you're probably going to finish towards the bottom of your class. If, otoh, you find yourself wondering what wwould have happened had Learned Hand decided the Hairy Hand case, you're going to do fine.

2. Lectures *are* the easiest part- for most people. Really, showing up is 80% of the battle. Law school is a job, and showing up each and every day is your responsibility. This is not ug, and your 8am lecture is not optional based upon your previous night's desire to watch Adult Swim (that's what TIVO is for). The unfortunate unstated side for that is the studying- do not get behind. Do the reading for each lecture ahead of time so you understand and can follow (and be engaged in) the lecture. Don't 'catch up' on the weekend. Can you do it? Sure. But it makes the lectures useless... Best strategy is to read for some of your classes the weekend before the assignments are due. Of course, some professors don't like to give you a comprehensive syllabus ahead of time *grin*.

3. Study groups, usually, are great. They can force you to really hit the books when you'd rather not. Do not choose study groups based on who you like and get along with, though. Choose people who you can learn from. If you find your study group is meeting to discuss House or American Idol, find a new study group. Another good reason for a study group is it helps you with networking and allows you to have a source of information (other students) who might know about things going on with the class or school in general that you don't know about.

4. Every professor is different. As an example, one professor swore by the IRAC system and demanded that all exam answers followed it. Another professor swore at the IRAC system and downgraded exam answers that followed it. One professor recommended a study guide and there was material on the exam that you could only answer successfully if you had used a study guide. Another professor (brilliant) hated study guides, and if you used information from them that conflicted with what he taught, he marked you down severely. One professor wanted your normative answers to be what his normative beliefs were, another professor preferred that you had provocative normative beliefs (well-supported) that she disagrees with. And so on... Long story short- for each class, find out what each professor is like (it should be evident during class, but ask 2Ls and 3Ls) and study and write your exams accordingly.

Also- learn the 3d Amendment. That's the key to everything.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2007, 03:34:49 PM »
My experiences are probably different from a lot of 1Ls because I am a non-traditional student.

The hardest part, which I knew it would be, was finding the right schoolwork/life balance. I have a small child and a husband who works crazy hours, so finding enough time to study and keep up was hard. But I managed to do it.

Surprisingly, the easiest for me was getting back into the swing of school since I had been out for 8 years. Once I started classes, it was like I had never left.

My study group was helpful because it made me accountable to other people. We only met for the few weeks before finals but when we met, we would spend 6-8 hours per day studying. Since I knew my group was counting on me to be there, I had to show up. If I was on my own, I would procrastinate and play on the Internet (like I am doing right now when I should be working on my Law Review write-on submission).

I was surprised by how much I genuinely enjoyed my first year of law school. Everyone told me that it would be hell and while it was hard, I liked it a lot.

Good luck next year!