Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 130090 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »

I'd have to say that after my first year, I'm definately glad that I went to lawschool. It's the best job that I've ever had. (that's right.."job") I've been in the Marines, I've worked Construction, and I've worked as a legal assistant at a law firm. I actually like getting up and going to lawschool, wheras everything else I've done as far as work (including undergrad) I hated getting up in the morning and going to. 

I find the material extremely interesting and I like my professors and most of my classmates. I can't say that about anything else up to this point. The last time I truely enjoyed what I was doing with my life was when I was in High School (which was 10 years ago).

So for now there have been no regrets. Sure Lawschool's a lot of work, but then again so is life. At least this is enjoyable and mentally stimulating work.

So everyone else can complain about school, but when these people complain about lawschool odds are that most of them haven't really had to work for a living in a rough job. I for one am glad that I chose to do what I am doing because I know how it is to have to do something that you hate.

Just my two cents.

LOL Budlaw! ;)

LOL back at you.

ģ

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:20 PM »
Definitely happy (that I went). 

Vonhayes77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 11:06:07 AM »
After investing a good deal of time and money on the lsats and applications, I've decided not to attend law school. For the last 6 months, I've worked in a law office and have been grossed out by the unhappy, greedy, elitist people that work here. In talking to people currently in law school I've heard the phrase "biggest mistake of my life" too many times to brush it off as mere "negativity." For many it's reality. Just look at the statistics on job-related depression. Law is #1 by far. A majority of lawyers say they wish they had gone into something else. That is not the norm. I couldn't ignore that.
From talking to many people who've had careers in law or are currently in law school I've learned one thing- whether or not you'll like law school and the profession that follows has a good deal to do with your personality. I would have been the worst person to attend law school. I don't take myself particularly seriously. I don't care much about money, status, etc. I enjoy interacting with people in a more personal way. I am much better suited toward psych/teaching type professions than law. There are academic articles you can read about how law school seeks to strip away your personality. Itís not as nefarious as it sounds, but the point is to get you to ďthink like a lawyer.Ē That isnít a joke. The ultra-competitive atmosphere is by design. The curves are in place to breed a certain type of professional. If you have a more rigid, business-oriented personality than you might love the law. Or if you are truly passionate about going into public interest it may be a great choice.
Having checked these boards regularly for the last year, Iíve noticed a few oft repeated fallacies. One is that ďthe 40 hour work week is dead. All jobs are at least 50-60 hours, so you might as well get a law degree and clean up monetarily.Ē What world do these people live in? Are the only careers in the world doctors, lawyers and dentists?
Another fallacy is that people believe the law is incredibly interesting work, while careers in, for example, the government are nothing but ďpaper pushing.Ē In some areas, Iím sure this is true. But having seen what corporate lawyers and tax lawyers actually do- shoveling crap would be just as interesting and at least you donít have to do it 70 hours a week.
Donít choose your career because it sounds good to your friends and family. Choose what you love or at least what doesnít make you miserable. Obviously Iím not a law student, so take my advice for what itís worth. Just because you are smart doesnít mean you have to go to law school. That being said, I wish all of you the best who choose to attend.

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 11:49:07 AM »
It's great that you made a decision you feel is right for you, but one question: why didn't you do this research before applying?

Vonhayes77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »
I'd imagine I was much like many others making the choice to go to law school. It's appealing on a surface level and you respond to the actual data on law school with a "that doesn't apply to me attitude." I've seen hundreds of posts on this board with that same tone. Oh 80% of lawyers regret their career choice- I'll be in the 20%. Only the top 10% get high paying jobs. That's okay- I'll be there for sure (even though you have same lsat and level of motivation as everyone else entering school.)
As for the research...I think by quitting the teaching profession and working for lawyers for a while..well, that was sufficient research. Better than coming straight out of undergrad, which was easy as hell, and saying, "80 hours doesn't intimidate me" when I had no actual workplace experience. I don't see anything wrong with starting the application process and continuing to keep an open mind.
Anyway, I'm not trying to be self-congratulatory (sorry if my tone comes across that way). I have no special wisdom to share, only my opinion. I made the right choice for me. Many will go to law school and that will be the right choice for them. I'm only posting because I know there are many like myself out there who may be choosing law school for the wrong reasons.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »
I'd imagine I was much like many others making the choice to go to law school. It's appealing on a surface level and you respond to the actual data on law school with a "that doesn't apply to me attitude." I've seen hundreds of posts on this board with that same tone. Oh 80% of lawyers regret their career choice- I'll be in the 20%. Only the top 10% get high paying jobs. That's okay- I'll be there for sure (even though you have same lsat and level of motivation as everyone else entering school.)
As for the research...I think by quitting the teaching profession and working for lawyers for a while..well, that was sufficient research. Better than coming straight out of undergrad, which was easy as hell, and saying, "80 hours doesn't intimidate me" when I had no actual workplace experience. I don't see anything wrong with starting the application process and continuing to keep an open mind.
Anyway, I'm not trying to be self-congratulatory (ne comes across that way). I have no special wisdom to share, only my opinion. I made the right choice for me. Many will go to law school and that will be the right choice for them. I'm only posting because I know there are many like myself out there who may be choosing law school for the wrong reasons.

This is some great advice. (and yes I'm being sarcastic) Too bad it's from someone that hasn't been to law-school, and its also by a guy who keeps making up new screen names in order to piss people off and give crappy advice.

Vonhayes77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 03:03:50 PM »
Wow, actually I've only had one screen name. Oh, good one- I haven't been to law school. I guess that precludes me from sharing my personal experience of deciding whether or not to attend. And you are exactly the kind of feminine hygiene product bag who belongs in law school! Congrats. Enjoy your loveless existence!

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »
I'm ready for it, and excited.  The lawyers I know are very happy, they work in a place that has a high QOL, and a city with a very low COL.  I like nice things, and want my kids to end up more successful than I am.  Doing so requires sacrifice.  Too many people I know skipped college, or are becoming tradesmen and entreprenuers.  I have no entreprenuerial drive, so that idea is scrapped.  I would have loved to teach, but K-12 teachers make squat, and the demand for History professors is a backlog which will leave our generation TAing into their mid-30's.  I didn't have majors that gave me skilled training, like Accounting or Finance, but then again talking with my friends at PriceWaterhouse or KMPG, working 80-100hr weeks there doesn't make any more sense than law.  I have two friends who despise dental school, and are disillusioned that every person our age dreams of opening up a dental practice in S. Florida.  A 40hr week is dead, there is nothing you can do to have a quality of life monetarilly which has only 40-50 hrs, unless of course you have some fluke luck.  Luck and hope are not plans.  Dollar for dollar, and dollar for hours, the sacrifices I will make for law will be no more demanding than any other profession I may have chosen.  And that is applicable to the bankers, entreprenuers, dentists, restaurant owners, web developers, and programmers I know.  Law is just another choice among these, which is an incredibly demanding mistress.  I have been forewarned.  And yet, upon glancing at the alternatives, I am reaffirmed in my resolve.  GLTA this year.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
Wow, actually I've only had one screen name. Oh, good one- I haven't been to law school. I guess that precludes me from sharing my personal experience of deciding whether or not to attend. And you are exactly the kind of feminine hygiene product bag who belongs in law school! Congrats. Enjoy your loveless existence!

Share all you want. But if you notice, this board is for Students (of lawschools) and Graduates (of lawschools). Go post your negativity on the kiddy board.

Also, if the Student's and Graduates sign wasn't enough, this particular is entitled "1 year later....still glad u went to lawschool". It's not entitled "Please tell me why you were too big of a female private part to go to lawschool."

lor

• View Profile