Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 126234 times)

monetaryorder

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
Indeed!

align

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2006, 03:23:58 AM »
If you contemplate joining the legal profession to have fun and to be happy, keep in mind that there's a higher percentage of depression and mental illness among lawyers than other professionals. Attorneys are 4 times more likely to be depressed than the public at large. They have the highest depression rate of any occupational group, and about 20% of them have a substance abuse problem, twice the rate of Americans in general. It is also estimated that 20-40% of law students -- even those entering with the same psychological profile of the public generally -- leave law school with some psychological dysfunction such as depression, substance abuse, or various stress-related disorders. She notes that this percentage is not only unusually high, but is not matched by medical students, for example, who are usually thought to undergo probably the most stressful form of professional training possible. The percentages are lower among medical students.

Now you may say, I'm going to law school for the intellectual challenge. Well, you're likely to be disappointed if you do litigation. You can look forward to endless cycles of scut work ... relentlessly repetitive and strangely unconnected to a dimly recollected purpose in choosing law. And if you go to law school to be loved and respected, forget it! The public perceives lawyers as greedy, arrogant and dishonest.

If you go to law school to get rich, there's some hope that you can achieve that goal, but you will be miserable even when you are rich. Most lawyers are so unhappy with what they're doing, whether they go to work for that big firm that's offering them the big bucks or pursue a career in public interest law.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »
If you contemplate joining the legal profession to have fun and to be happy, keep in mind that there's a higher percentage of depression and mental illness among lawyers than other professionals. Attorneys are 4 times more likely to be depressed than the public at large. They have the highest depression rate of any occupational group, and about 20% of them have a substance abuse problem, twice the rate of Americans in general. It is also estimated that 20-40% of law students -- even those entering with the same psychological profile of the public generally -- leave law school with some psychological dysfunction such as depression, substance abuse, or various stress-related disorders. She notes that this percentage is not only unusually high, but is not matched by medical students, for example, who are usually thought to undergo probably the most stressful form of professional training possible. The percentages are lower among medical students.

Now you may say, I'm going to law school for the intellectual challenge. Well, you're likely to be disappointed if you do litigation. You can look forward to endless cycles of scut work ... relentlessly repetitive and strangely unconnected to a dimly recollected purpose in choosing law. And if you go to law school to be loved and respected, forget it! The public perceives lawyers as greedy, arrogant and dishonest.

If you go to law school to get rich, there's some hope that you can achieve that goal, but you will be miserable even when you are rich. Most lawyers are so unhappy with what they're doing, whether they go to work for that big firm that's offering them the big bucks or pursue a career in public interest law.

So, have you dropped out yet or just decided not to attend? You make some great points; who is the "she" that you refer to above? It's amazing that so many naive people would enter such a bastion of misery. Thankfully, there are those such as yourself who will steer us in the right direction. Oh wait.. it's precisely this personality trait (i.e. letting others pre-conceived notions guide your choices and hence, what you get out of life) that contributes to the unhappiness you speak of. In any event, I hope that you find an alternative career path where you'll feel there is a greater chance to build your professional and personal happiness.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
[...] who is the "she" that you refer to above?

The author/subject of the article that this fellow cut and paste into the discussion without citation... plagarism...

whatever...

blackjesus

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »
Deborah I guess, that's her name, anyway, she has written an excellent book that I recommend to everyone here to read..

ln

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2006, 01:38:29 PM »
Awesome thread!

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »
i guess an argument could be made for steering depressed, substance-abusing people toward careers in law. they'll be used to it, and it will help keep healthy people from pursuing careers in law and falling ill as a result.
case '09

veto

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2006, 03:57:48 AM »
Depressed, substance-abusing people become depressed, substance-abusing AFTER they start law school, they are normal when they enter the hell.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2006, 12:46:31 PM »
still into the first year. still glad I went.

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »
Steering this thread back on track...

Entering my 3rd year and regretting law school.  I worked for a mortgage company for three years and yeah it was a dead end low salary job but there was limited responsibilites and when I got home I was home.  Also, right now, my husband lives in one state and I live in another (during the school year).  If I could do it over again I wouldn't.  So what would I be doing if I didn't go to law school, still living in my house with my husband, going to work, hanging out with my coworkers, visiting my family without feeling guilty and ,God willing, being a mother. 

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but the OP asked for our opinions and this is mine.  Mostly I regret how law school has affected my quality of life and I don't think I am alone in that feeling.

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot