Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 129621 times)

gibbsale

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2006, 08:09:10 PM »
 I don't know if specializing in appellate work outside of criminal law is all that difficult. A guy who went to law school with my father specialized in civil appellate work, and he did well until the Federalist Society justices took over the Michigan Supreme Court. I believe he worked for himself immediately after finishing law school, so I don't know how realistic that would be today.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2006, 09:23:59 PM »
I'm currently a summer law clerk, and I've been privileged to see quite a bit of court. It's the most fascinating part of my job, and I've personally met and had great conversations with 8 judges so far. I know a lot of legal work is not about going to court, but I'm also pretty sure that most law students hope to be there one day.
I have no desire to be in a courtroom. Stick me in a back office. Let me do research and writing. I'll be happy. Courtroom? No thanks.

xxfgab

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »
Pretty interesting thoughts here!

sine qua non

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »
well, I'll admit that I am clerking for a large district attorney's office. I've never been interested in anything other than the practice of criminal law. It's largely about going to court and getting tons of trial experience, but of course pre-trial stuff such as investigation and plea negotiations are equally if not more important. Even so, the ADAs relish being in court, and they're always excited to be in the thick of it.

I know there are many people who would love being holed up in a corner doing research. But attorneys in court every day also do legal research on a regular basis, and experience in court, whatever it may be, can only make you a more well-rounded lawyer. You will also encounter more of the legal spectrum-- judges, defense attorneys, law enforcement (on the criminal side), the experts, support staff (who are vital), etc.

I'd also like to add that I recently wrote a lengthy motion that required quite a bit of legal research. Watching the ADA make my arguments in court was nothing short of exhilirating. Here and there, I wanted to jump up and clarify points she made. Even if you don't want to speak in court, you'll probably want to be there to see your work come to fruition. There's nothing like it.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2006, 01:50:47 AM »
I am undecided. I think I would be equally suited for both litigation and transactional-ish work. I have thought a lot about becoming a lobbyist though, any body else had the same inclination? Tell me whatcha think...

Italian2L

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2006, 05:07:26 AM »
I am undecided. I think I would be equally suited for both litigation and transactional-ish work. I have thought a lot about becoming a lobbyist though, any body else had the same inclination? Tell me whatcha think...

I've definitely thought about this. Its not something that I would want to try to get into right away, but I could see myself doing it at some point down the road. I grew up in Alexandria and have always been fascinated by the whole lobbyist culture in the city. Nice suits, shady deals, good parties.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2006, 12:20:01 PM »
...Nice suits, shady deals, good parties.

Exactly...  ;D

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2006, 11:09:47 PM »
I love the law!! Sure some areas are more boring than others, but overall I find it fascinating. I may not be helping to close the O Zone layer or feed kids in Africa, but the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that I get from my work is tremendous. I love figuring complicated stuff out and being bossy. I love being able to tell a judge or partner what I think should happen. I love being right. I love the competition. I love that it's not easy by design.

da!

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »
I love the law!! Sure some areas are more boring than others, but overall I find it fascinating. I may not be helping to close the O Zone layer or feed kids in Africa, but the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that I get from my work is tremendous. I love figuring complicated stuff out and being bossy. I love being able to tell a judge or partner what I think should happen. I love being right. I love the competition. I love that it's not easy by design.

LOL giraffe! ;)
H ... is for Hardcore.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
everyone has been talking about how unhappy lawyers are, so i thought i'd throw this in.  i was talking to a lady at a party today who was a lawyer and said she LOVED being a lawyer.  she said she didnt like law school, but loves being a lawyer.  in fact she said she felt incredibly blessed to have a legal education.  she also said she loved the fact that with a jd she could do almost anything and she also loved that. 

just thought i'd throw that in on everyones 'lawyers are miserable' pity party