Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 131833 times)

sine qua non

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »

[/quote]

Statistically, a large percentage of people, regardless of their profession, are probably unhappy with their profession at some point. I doubt job dissatisfaction is a phenomenon of the legal industry.
[/quote]

the point is that lawyers are generally more dissatisfied than those in other vocations

crazyhorsetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »
Quote from: brewha link=topic=4539.msg35096#msg35096 date=/

[...] We have chosen to go through law school and have completed the most difficult part of the process. [...] 

Law school is a breeze compared to the life of a junior associate. There are many days when the latter vacillate between wanting to cry or wanting to choke someone. There are way too many associates at LARGE law firms cursed out point blank to their faces. The profession is extremely HIGH STRESS. People need to think about what they want to do with this degree, how much work they are capable of handling and what sort of home life they want to have. If they want to raise kids and have a spouse, that's going to be difficult with 200 billable hours a month. It's a trade off ... do you want more time and less money (gov't) or more money and way less time?

Associates at big law firsm put in 60-70 hour weeks. It's not a glamorous thing as many law students may think it is. Every project is rushed. Billable hours are no joke and as an associate you are often treated like chattel. The hiring wars are simply over, there are more attorneys than available jobs. People struggle to pay their loans. The profession is high stress, a lot of work ... there are many attorneys who are depressed and/or suicidal. You go to work at 7:15 a.m. in the morning and it may be 11 p.m. when you get home again.

The firm life isn't for the faint at heart. Smaller firms are often no better than larger firms when it comes to billables and other matters. Many big law firms require 200 hours a month, which for a new attorney may mean 12-14 hour days.   

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 11:54:20 AM »
crazyhorse - have u worked as an associate at a biglaw firm?

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
crazyhorse - have u worked as an associate at a biglaw firm?

Of course he hasn't. He's that idiot who goes around with the copy and pasted posts and makes up new screen names for himself everyday. His post smells like something from over on "The Vault's" member page.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 09:50:48 PM »
I went to law school after having worked in various industries for a number of years -- not law, btw. That said, no regrets about going. First year was difficult. Second year was difficult for different reasons. Looking forward to third year at this point.

If you tell yourself "it sucks", yes, that's how you'll see it. If people start whining to me about stuff like that, I remind them that law school is voluntary. If you don't like it, no one's making you stay.

Italian2L

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »
I went to law school after having worked in various industries for a number of years -- not law, btw. That said, no regrets about going. First year was difficult. Second year was difficult for different reasons. Looking forward to third year at this point.

If you tell yourself "it sucks", yes, that's how you'll see it. If people start whining to me about stuff like that, I remind them that law school is voluntary. If you don't like it, no one's making you stay.

Agreed. If you don't like it, get out and quit whining. I'm sick of people telling me that law school is turning me into this or that or the other thing, or that its manipulating me with fear and blah blah blah.

You know what? I've never been afraid of law school. Maybe during the first week or two, or the week before my oral arguments in 1L I was NERVOUS or ANXIOUS about the public speaking aspect, but I certainly wasn't hiding under my bed vomiting like these people make it sound.

Law school is not THAT hard (challenging is a better word for it), its certainly not that scary, and if you don't think its interesting, then leave. Why didn't you do a little research to find out what you were getting into in the first place? I hate to be a male private part about it, but people exaggerate way too much about the horrors of law school. Just leave and find something that you enjoy. Sure you'll have to pay those loans back, but it should only be a semester's worth or a year at the most.

retail theft

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2006, 09:33:31 AM »

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2006, 11:28:19 AM »
I will go on record and say it:

Choosing to attend law school was the worst mistake of my life.

I just finished 2L at a tier 1. My GPA is right at the top 10% cutoff and I am also on Law Review. So, my displeasure does not stem from my accomplishments in a classroom. Instead, I have found that with each passing day, I simply just like the law a little bit less. There is no particular reason except I am just not interested in it any longer. The possibility that I may have to deal with law every single day until I die is almost enough to have me pull the trigger and withdraw. But, b/c of the loans, I am sticking it out. I have to pay them back and cannot figure out how I could do so if I quit law school now.

But, in answer to the OP's question, NO -- I am not glad I went to law school. Further, I would encourage every single person thinking about law school to NOT apply until you have dealt with the law in some capacity and know without a doubt that you want to pursue a JD.

If I could do it all over again, I would go to med school, or dental school, or hell . . . maybe just make cocktails on the beach ala Tom Cruise in "Cocktail."

Here's something I don't understand. I've been around lawyers most of my life, and from all accounts, most of them are happy, functional individuals who know how to prioritize their lives. They don't hate their jobs, neither do they regret their decisions to enter law. But when I was considering law school, they told me that they key to tolerating, even enjoying, the law was finding a niche. First, don't go for the big firms and the lucrative cash, they said. Instead, find an area of the law, real estate law, contracts, intellectual property, wills, something you liked, and build a moderate practice handling only those cases. Next, stay out of the courtroom as much as possible. And lastly, use your job to facilitate your life, not your life to facilitate your job. Thus, I am heading for practive in real estate law (real property). I hope to work only enough to comfortably support my family and perhaps make a few land deals myself. Otherwise, I'm going to chill and enjoy being a father and husband of moderate means without killing myself for the new Mercedes, etc. My mother is a family law lawyer, and I can tell you, no amount of money on earth could make me take over her practice... Way too stressful on both her and my father. I just hope she gets the picture before it's too late...  :-[
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

mushayul

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
I am convinced the reason why so many lawyers are so miserable is because they don't REALLY know what they're getting into. Whoever mentioned people should do some kind of legal work first, I completely agree with that. When faced with the reality of what law firm life is really like, many people would probably decide not to go. Many people (like myself) may be reassured that it is something they want to do.

It should really be a requirement before enrolling in law school. Sadly, a lot less people would still go, and then law schools would lose money, so I guess that idea won't work ;)

sine qua non

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006, 05:51:20 PM »
I will go on record and say it:

Choosing to attend law school was the worst mistake of my life.

I just finished 2L at a tier 1. My GPA is right at the top 10% cutoff and I am also on Law Review. So, my displeasure does not stem from my accomplishments in a classroom. Instead, I have found that with each passing day, I simply just like the law a little bit less. There is no particular reason except I am just not interested in it any longer. The possibility that I may have to deal with law every single day until I die is almost enough to have me pull the trigger and withdraw. But, b/c of the loans, I am sticking it out. I have to pay them back and cannot figure out how I could do so if I quit law school now.

But, in answer to the OP's question, NO -- I am not glad I went to law school. Further, I would encourage every single person thinking about law school to NOT apply until you have dealt with the law in some capacity and know without a doubt that you want to pursue a JD.

If I could do it all over again, I would go to med school, or dental school, or hell . . . maybe just make cocktails on the beach ala Tom Cruise in "Cocktail."

Here's something I don't understand. I've been around lawyers most of my life, and from all accounts, most of them are happy, functional individuals who know how to prioritize their lives. They don't hate their jobs, neither do they regret their decisions to enter law. But when I was considering law school, they told me that they key to tolerating, even enjoying, the law was finding a niche. First, don't go for the big firms and the lucrative cash, they said. Instead, find an area of the law, real estate law, contracts, intellectual property, wills, something you liked, and build a moderate practice handling only those cases. Next, stay out of the courtroom as much as possible. And lastly, use your job to facilitate your life, not your life to facilitate your job. Thus, I am heading for practive in real estate law (real property). I hope to work only enough to comfortably support my family and perhaps make a few land deals myself. Otherwise, I'm going to chill and enjoy being a father and husband of moderate means without killing myself for the new Mercedes, etc. My mother is a family law lawyer, and I can tell you, no amount of money on earth could make me take over her practice... Way too stressful on both her and my father. I just hope she gets the picture before it's too late...  :-[

stay out of the courtroom as much as possible?

I'm currently a summer law clerk, and I've been privileged to see quite a bit of court. It's the most fascinating part of my job, and I've personally met and had great conversations with 8 judges so far. I know a lot of legal work is not about going to court, but I'm also pretty sure that most law students hope to be there one day.