Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 131987 times)

tickets

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:19 AM »
LOL inny! ;)

tickets

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:49 AM »
LOL modesto as well! :)

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2006, 08:29:18 AM »

capital one

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2006, 04:47:42 AM »

Danijel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2006, 09:12:23 AM »
Hi, guys

I am about to start Law School in Feb.2007.
I started University when i was 17 and spent 1.5 years doing Journalism/International Relations.
I just now decided that Journalism is not for me and that if i really wnated to make a difference in his world i thing studying Law is the way to go.

I dont want to be some hot-shot lawyer - all I want to do is be a Federal politician, senator or Minister for Foreign Affairs. That is why I have droped the Journalism course and instead I will study Law/International Studies.

I am not sure why so many of you guys are so negative about Law schools, here in Australia if you have a Law degree it takes you places. A lot of Law graduates are not lawyers - and I think that is the problem a lot of Law students are single minded and just want a legal profession. But I think if a lot more students combined their Law degree with say Media, Politics, Commerce etc they would find Law school much more enjoyable !!!!.

So reading some of these comments really freaks me out -  I hope Law school is not that scary.  :-\ 
But we'll see what happens - but the Law kids that I personally know seem to love their degree, they are very satisfied, happy, healthy extremly involved in their extra curricular activities so a lot of them find Law school enjoyable - i hope I do too. :)  ;D

ashley06

• Yes, I am crude and insufferable. Bite me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
I will go on record and say it:

Choosing to attend law school was the worst mistake of my life.

I just finished 2L at a tier 1. My GPA is right at the top 10% cutoff and I am also on Law Review. So, my displeasure does not stem from my accomplishments in a classroom. Instead, I have found that with each passing day, I simply just like the law a little bit less. There is no particular reason except I am just not interested in it any longer. The possibility that I may have to deal with law every single day until I die is almost enough to have me pull the trigger and withdraw. But, b/c of the loans, I am sticking it out. I have to pay them back and cannot figure out how I could do so if I quit law school now.

But, in answer to the OP's question, NO -- I am not glad I went to law school. Further, I would encourage every single person thinking about law school to NOT apply until you have dealt with the law in some capacity and know without a doubt that you want to pursue a JD.

If I could do it all over again, I would go to med school, or dental school, or hell . . . maybe just make cocktails on the beach ala Tom Cruise in "Cocktail."

YIKES! 

How would you recommend someone expose herself to the law before choosing law school?  Work as a paralegel?

Edit: NM, question was answered later in the thread.
Attending: FSU
Accepted:  Barry ($$$), FCSL ($$), Stetson ($$), Ole Miss, UF, Memphis, Miami (FL)
Waitlisted:  UGA(W)
Rejected:

einszweidrei

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2006, 07:19:26 AM »
bump

arianna

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2006, 10:41:53 PM »

I'd have to say that after my first year, I'm definately glad that I went to lawschool. It's the best job that I've ever had. (that's right.."job") I've been in the Marines, I've worked Construction, and I've worked as a legal assistant at a law firm. I actually like getting up and going to lawschool, wheras everything else I've done as far as work (including undergrad) I hated getting up in the morning and going to. 

If you compare it to the kind of jobs you've been doing in the past, law school is definately better.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
I don't hate law school.  I find the material pretty interesting, but the more I think about the actual practice of law, the more I regret coming to law school.  I'll be happy, but if I had to do it over again I would go for a PhD instead.

moneycreation

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2006, 09:58:33 PM »

The public perceives lawyers as greedy, arrogant and dishonest.

If you go to law school to get rich, there's some hope that you can achieve that goal, but you will be miserable even when you are rich. Most lawyers are so unhappy with what they're doing, whether they go to work for that big firm that's offering them the big bucks or pursue a career in public interest law.

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right; greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms, greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words — will save the malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

At UC Berkeley, arbitrageur Ivan Boesky, said in 1985, "Greed is all right, by the way. I want you to know that. I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself." Ultimately the "Greed is Good" philosophy could be seen as related to what Adam Smith concluded about human nature. Smith believed that in general honest people freed to pursue their own interest would fare better than they would under a system that dictated what was "good." In the process, persons pursuing their own interests would eliminate inefficiencies and allocate commodities where they would benefit the greater society.

Grandad: [talking to the Police] Rodney's got a police record!
Del Boy: [quickly] Yes, er... it's "Walking on the Moon".
ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES.