Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?  (Read 131262 times)

ksully

• View Profile
Re: 1 year later....still glad u went to law school?
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2006, 07:59:46 PM »
Addicts will become addicts, regardless of profession. People only notice it more when in a "prestigous" profession. No cares enough to do a report on drug abuse in the janitorial industry.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2006, 09:24:33 PM »
(and name calling is needed when it's deemed necessary...and in your case it is)

:-*

And to imagine I thought I could actually have an adult, civil conversation without namecalling.  Silly me.  I apologize for that silly assumption, and I hereby withdraw from any further debate, as I see it would be futile.

Yes...resistence is futile...and apparently not becoming an alcoholic or a druggy is too by your logic right? Or I'll become majoryly depressed too right?

klinex

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2006, 06:05:27 AM »

Yes...resistence is futile... [...]

It's *resistance* is futile ...

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2006, 11:05:52 AM »

Yes...resistence is futile... [...]

It's *resistance* is futile ...

you missed majoryly

Vonhayes77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »
Wow, actually I've only had one screen name. Oh, good one- I haven't been to law school. I guess that precludes me from sharing my personal experience of deciding whether or not to attend. And you are exactly the kind of feminine hygiene product bag who belongs in law school! Congrats. Enjoy your loveless existence!

Share all you want. But if you notice, this board is for Students (of lawschools) and Graduates (of lawschools). Go post your negativity on the kiddy board.

Also, if the Student's and Graduates sign wasn't enough, this particular is entitled "1 year later....still glad u went to lawschool". It's not entitled "Please tell me why you were too big of a female private part to go to lawschool."

Haha, I couldn't agree with Budlaw more.  I'll stick up for anyone that HAS gone through that hellish first year of law school before anyone that couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't any day of the week.  Vonhayes, your useless justification for not personally attending lawschool is entirely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.  We have chosen to go through law school and have completed the most difficult part of the process.  What makes you think that any of us give a sh&t why you chose not to attend... let alone why you believe 80% of us made the decision to attend for the wrong reasons?  It seems to me that your continued posting on the STUDENTS AND GRADUATE side of the board is a lame attempt to become a part of something you lacked the courage to undertake. 

You have no basis upon which to hand out advice or words of wisdom to any of us on this side of the board and I hope you don't begin to post baseless garbage on the Pre-law side of the board to scare potential law students out of a tremendous opportunity. 

Wah, wah, wah, someone's posting on the wrong message board. You're sad.

Vonhayes77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
Wow, actually I've only had one screen name. Oh, good one- I haven't been to law school. I guess that precludes me from sharing my personal experience of deciding whether or not to attend. And you are exactly the kind of feminine hygiene product bag who belongs in law school! Congrats. Enjoy your loveless existence!

Share all you want. But if you notice, this board is for Students (of lawschools) and Graduates (of lawschools). Go post your negativity on the kiddy board.

Oh, my. I didn't know message boards were soooooooo important. Guess they would be to someone who takes themselves so seriously. Oh, and by the way, you're too big a female private part to think for yourself.
Also, if the Student's and Graduates sign wasn't enough, this particular is entitled "1 year later....still glad u went to lawschool". It's not entitled "Please tell me why you were too big of a female private part to go to lawschool."

entelle

• View Profile
STUDENTS LEAVE LAW SCHOOL WITH FRAGILE MENTAL HEALTH
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »

Yes I have and I found it to be basically a bunch of B.S.

Just because some people like to attribute their own inherent flaws to an externality doesn't make it true. Alcoholism and Drug dependency are personal choices that are not influenced by one's school. When a person says that the reason they do drugs or drink too much is because of "stress" they're just making excuses and rationalizing thier own behaivor.

The amazing thing is that it's not Law School that puts stress on students, it's the student's  that put all the stress on themselves. Because when you think about it, Law School is easy, there shouldn't be any stress. You basically only have to read and then take one test. What they hell is so hard about that? You don't have to turn in assignments everyday, and you don't have constant deadlines. So exactly what is so hard about lawschool?

The only "stress" involved is when people place stress on themselves. It's all internal. Nothing more. So attributing your alcoholism or drug use or depression to lawschool is simply ludicrous. Attribute it to your own f**cked up personality, but don't place the blame on a professional school. 

What they don't tell you

On a recent Tuesday during exam week at Chicago-Kent, Sahrawat and three of her classmates gathered in the school's lobby after they finished their remedies exam. All were in their third year at law school; only one had a job lined up for after graduation. Joseph Green, who will move to Washington, D.C., after graduation to take a job with an intellectual property firm, said law school was necessarily a competitive environment. "You know you're on a curve, competing against everyone around you," he said. "You want to further your cause, and not anyone else's. "I'm not training to work in a fast-food restaurant," he continued. "I'm training to go into a field where there's stress and competition ... You need to know what that feels like."

Others, though, felt law school had a more dismal effect on them.

"I walked into this place knowing I wasn't going to be a law review student," said Chris Fischer, 45, who has wanted to be a lawyer since she was five years old. She's hoping to land a job as a public defender. "The toughest lesson in the world is to know that sometimes your best isn't good enough. "I have nowhere near the level of hope that I had when I first started," she said. "That's not to say I regret my experience or have changed my plans. I think 'resigned' is the word."

Nearly 30 years after Scott Turow published One L, the chronicle of his arduous journey through the first year of Harvard Law School, it seems only a handful of things have changed about the sometimes unhealthy pressures students face in law schools. "Law school does its best to promote those feelings," Turow, a litigation partner in Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, said in a recent interview. "There's one exam at the end of the year: That's the best possible way to increase student anxiety."

Turow's not the only one who's noticed. Sharon Dolovich, now a law professor at UCLA, wrote a note for the Harvard Law Review in 1998, while she was a student there. In it, she described how the entire structure of law school -- from posting the list of those who make law review to teaching that it's necessary to argue both sides of a point, regardless of one's personal opinion -- works to destabilize students. "Graduates are by no means broken, but their sense of agency has been sorely undermined," she wrote in her Harvard Law Review note. "In general, they no longer view themselves as capable of having an impact on the world, much less setting it on fire."

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/depts/communicate/newspages/article_full.cfm?eventid=1911
Yep! I'm homoerotic, homophobic and heterosexual.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2006, 10:29:56 PM »

Oh, my. I didn't know message boards were soooooooo important. Guess they would be to someone who takes themselves so seriously. Oh, and by the way, you're too big a female private part to think for yourself.

Your mama...

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2006, 10:36:17 PM »
Thanks Vonhayes77.

And oh yeah...Clevland sucks.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2006, 03:27:03 AM »
Thanks Vonhayes77.

And oh yeah...Clevland sucks.

Von Hayes...The single most responsible person for the downfall of the Philadelphia Phillies back in 1981.  5 for 1 my ass.

Sorry, painful childhood memory.