Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To all transfer: Any Insights about transferring for incomng 1L  (Read 3106 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: To all transfer: Any Insights about transferring for incomng 1L
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 01:30:32 AM »
Interesting. But still, the Restatement is pretty representative of the common law, and most likely the cases you studied.

My contracts class was only about 10% Restatement, and like 5% UCC.  The rest was case law only.

It's really not that unusual.  My torts class also spent very, very little time discuss the restatement.

Restatements are good, for what they're worth. But because most (any??) states don't adopt it, they're not the be all end all of the subject.

angel336

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice - I will definitely rely heavily on lawpreview's tactics and get the LEEWS CD - So you guys are telling me that you did not study on friday and sat? That's great.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »
Air Force JAG Corps

lalala

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
im aiming for the A's first semester.

Just a word of warning:  Pretty much everyone aims for all As first semester, but not everyone gets them... transferring is never a sure thing.  so be sure to go to a school that youd love to stay at for all three years, b/c there are no guarantees even with the best preparation.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »
im aiming for the A's first semester.

Just a word of warning:  Pretty much everyone aims for all As first semester, but not everyone gets them... transferring is never a sure thing.  so be sure to go to a school that youd love to stay at for all three years, b/c there are no guarantees even with the best preparation.

Ditto. I think it doesn't really sink in until a professor breaks down the curve for you. The fact of the matter is that Law School really is nothing like undergrad as far as A's go. In undergrad everyone could get an A, but in lawschool, there's only a few A's to go around in each class.

I remember seeing one of my professors break down the grade-distribution curve and thinking to myself "God I'll never make an A in my life! I'll be lucky just to make the median."

I think that was the most sobering moment of lawschool (up until I actually got my grades back... ;))

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 12:02:23 AM »
Am I the only person who went to a University with a curve? It was brutal.

"Hail to thee my alma mater..."

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

angel336

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »
hey thanks for the reality check - i think lots of people go into school thinking they can transfer.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:21 AM »
all this conversation just makes me glad my t3 doesnt have a curve

they rank, but dont curve

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »
I also went to an undergrad with a serious curve... getting A's was damn near impossible unless I was taking a humanities class... hence my 2.98 UGPA.

I think as a transfer applicant, the admissions committee has more leeway to take into account where you went to school and what you majored in when evaluating your UGPA.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio