Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To all transfer: Any Insights about transferring for incomng 1L  (Read 3102 times)

angel336

• View Profile
Tranfers,

I guess I just figured you guys would be the best people to ask for studying tips since transfers tend to be at the top of their classes from previous schools

I am heading to either WUSTL or American next year and I was wandering if any transfers from these schools (or other schools) could tell me how difficult it is to transfer to NYC-based schools (Columbia, Fordham, NYU, and Cornell) + Gtown in DC(alma mater).  I know that you must be at least 5-15% so please give me any insights on how to study STRATEGICALLY so im aiming for the A's first semester.

I am also planning to take law preview - do you think this course would help and give me the headstart I want?

Hmm..and any other insights you could provide about tips to de-stress, plan for exams, briefing cases (how long should it take), preparation for class, asking for recommendations.

Any books you could recommend about transferring?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: To all transfer: Any Insights about transferring for incomng 1L
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:18:04 AM »
Law Preview is probably the biggest reason I got the grades I did (other than pure hard work) and it has paid of majorly. I'm at a T-1 and have a great job in Sf this summer.

You'll here a lot of people diss LP but don't buy into it.  Those who take it for what it is - a way to hit law school with your feet running (learn the approach they give you and brief every case they hand out) - do well.  Those who think LP is just about learning the law (in fact it's not about learning the law at all) miss the boat.

Follow their tips (brief and read everything your first year, do tons of practice tests, flashcard or review every weekend, and don't be disappointed with less than stellar first semester grades) and you'll get where you want.  The work pays off much more in the second semester when people get lazy than in the first (I went from a 3.0 first semester to a final cumulative 3.7 doing the same second semester as I did first semester. Good luck!

angel336

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:27:26 AM »
Krisace, thanks for that - I am actually signed up for the course in the end of August!!!  Do they give you a packet of information?  Did you find the class difficult or do they really walk you through it? 

Did you ever feel yourself getting lazy during the semester or lose motivation to follow all of the tips?

Where do you go to school?
Are you transferring?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:23:50 PM »
Angel,

I went from a midwest T4 to a Top 30 this year.

I know nothing of Law Preview so I won't comment on that.

I did the CD version of LEEWS before my 1L (and again before 1st semester finals) and I feel that helped a great deal. Wentworth Miller (the creator) knows the law exam system inside and out. I've found that people ranging from T4 to Top-14 have benefited from this program.

I also tried the Planet Law School II prep program and found it to be a colossal waste of time. Reading the Examples and Explanations was a joke. For example: The Crim Law E&E is about 70/30 in regard to its focus on the common law and the model penal code, respectively. My crim law class was 90% model penal code. The contracts E&E was heavy on the restatement. My prof all but ignored the restatement.

There are three nuggets of advice I got that, after my 1L, I feel were the best:
1. Treat school like your job. Make everything else tertiary to your studies. Sometimes workdays are an easy 9-5 and you can relax that night. Other workdays are 12-15 hours. Put the time in. You can't be too prepared.
2. Practice the old exams. Work on how you outline your answers, how you phrase the law specific to the exams fact pattern, etc. Then go over the exams with your profs prior to the test. You'll learn invaluable information.
3. A corollary to #1, take time off. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You'll need some evenings, weekends away from school. A 24/7 mentality will just wear you out and impair your ability to succeed. Find a good outlet for your stress: alcohol, a sex buddy, exercise, etc.

Other than that, once school begins, don't waste your time thinking about transferring until you get your 1st semester grades. There are no pro-active steps you can take till 1st term marks are in and you are better focusing on the looking exam period.

Best of luck
2-
Air Force JAG Corps

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 02:32:05 PM »
If you're looking from transfer from a T14 or near-T14 school to a better T-14 (ex:HYSCCN), do you need to be top-10% in your class? I hear G-Town has a 50% tranfer rate, but if I'm going to even think about transferring away from UT (which I love), I want it to be to a top-5. I hear that you jsut have to show that you can compete, but not that you're at the very top. Is this a myth?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:24:08 PM »
Learn how to spell wondering.

In all seriousness, what everyone said is good advice.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:19:42 PM »
Coxless --

You're a cool guy, but I don't understand how your Contracts professor could "all but ignore" the Restatement. The Restatement is the common law of Contracts, the rules and policies of the entire subject of Contracts. What did he do -- focus entirely on the UCC? That would make no sense because the UCC only deals with transactions in goods.

Angel,

I did the CD version of LEEWS before my 1L (and again before 1st semester finals) and I feel that helped a great deal. Wentworth Miller (the creator) knows the law exam system inside and out. I've found that people ranging from T4 to Top-14 have benefited from this program.

I also tried the Planet Law School II prep program and found it to be a colossal waste of time. Reading the Examples and Explanations was a joke. For example: The Crim Law E&E is about 70/30 in regard to its focus on the common law and the model penal code, respectively. My crim law class was 90% model penal code. The contracts E&E was heavy on the restatement. My prof all but ignored the restatement.

There are three nuggets of advice I got that, after my 1L, I feel were the best:
1. Treat school like your job. Make everything else tertiary to your studies. Sometimes workdays are an easy 9-5 and you can relax that night. Other workdays are 12-15 hours. Put the time in. You can't be too prepared.
2. Practice the old exams. Work on how you outline your answers, how you phrase the law specific to the exams fact pattern, etc. Then go over the exams with your profs prior to the test. You'll learn invaluable information.
3. A corollary to #1, take time off. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You'll need some evenings, weekends away from school. A 24/7 mentality will just wear you out and impair your ability to succeed. Find a good outlet for your stress: alcohol, a sex buddy, exercise, etc.

Other than that, once school begins, don't waste your time thinking about transferring until you get your 1st semester grades. There are no pro-active steps you can take till 1st term marks are in and you are better focusing on the looking exam period.

Best of luck
2-

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 10:47:47 PM »
My contracts class was only about 10% Restatement, and like 5% UCC.  The rest was case law only.

It's really not that unusual.  My torts class also spent very, very little time discuss the restatement.

Restatements are good, for what they're worth. But because most (any??) states don't adopt it, they're not the be all end all of the subject.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 11:27:12 PM »
Unless I'm totally crazy, the restatements are just persuasive. That being said, we talked about them in my contracts class when they came up. (if anyone used the Dawson textbook, they came up a bit) I found personally that they were helpful in understanding blackletter law.

As far as the UCC goes, we also talked about that quite a bit it's a good contrast/comparison to the common law. But we didn't get that crazy about it in class generally, however it was on the second semester exam quite a bit.

Bottom line is that the restatements are like Jacy said "good for what they're worth". And UCC Article 2 is covered more than you ever wanted in Sales and Leases. (which I'm finding I quite hate this summer)

Coxless --

You're a cool guy, but I don't understand how your Contracts professor could "all but ignore" the Restatement. The Restatement is the common law of Contracts, the rules and policies of the entire subject of Contracts. What did he do -- focus entirely on the UCC? That would make no sense because the UCC only deals with transactions in goods.

Angel,

Best of luck
2-

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 12:55:17 AM »
Hey Ange - to bring this conversation back let me answer a few of your questions.  I attended Pacific-McGeorge (T2) for my 1L year and transferred to UC-Davis (T1) last summer.  Law Preview really helped me do that.  They'll give you a packet of cases to read and brief and you should.  But don't worry about being lost.  I felt like the dumbest guy in the room.  In fact as  1L just remember that no one is as smart as you think they are.  You will always think you sounded dumb in class and that everyone else sounds better. 

The best thing is to really take everything they say in Law Preview to heart.  As posted above, take Friday and Saturday night off (except for maybe the end of the semester; keep working hard but with weekend evenings completely free you likely won't burn out).

Stay positive and basically just work as hard as you can.  DO NOT get bogged down in detail.  Just remember that finals are only a few hours long and as long as you know the 1 rule you're supposed to get out of eac cae/section in the book you'll know all the relevent law for the test.  As long as you work as hard as you can you'll do well and finish fairly high in your class. Trust me, except for two or three people in your class who are ridiculously brilliant, those who work hardest do the best, not those with the highest LSATs. And in law school success has a direct correlation to good money and  presitigous job...that should be a good motivator in itself.