Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone thinking about LEEWS?  (Read 3647 times)

margee

Anyone thinking about LEEWS?
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »
Anyone else considering LEEWS?  It's pretty cheap - seems like it would be worth the risk.

http://www.leews.com/

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Anyone thinking about LEEWS?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:09:50 PM »
I've been considering it.  I've not heard any negative comments about it yet.  If I get this, I'll do the Audio CD package for $145, so I can listen to them during my commute instead of the radio.

I'm not really sure how much they'll help me, though.  If there is one thing I will need help on, though, it will be legal writing.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:53:32 PM »
After you've memorized the relevant black letter law and know which cases relate to what, you're really only left with two major things:  a need for practice and a need to figure out wtf the professor "wants" on her exam.

Yes, another rousing game of guess what teacher's thinking.  :)

My main worry is that many people say, "If you come out of an exam thinking the question was too easy, you probably missed something."

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »
I liked the mock class.  I like getting called on under the Socratic method, though.  It seems like a better classroom style than drab lecturing.

The thing I don't like is that eventually, the teacher is going to call on the "stupid" kid, or someone that didn't read the materials.  If the teacher just keeps on grilling them instead of moving on, I expect it to be a waste of a class period.  Hopefully a good teacher can minimize and avoid those situations.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 04:24:19 PM »
Again, let me preface my statements with "I realize it was just a mock class," but I left there feeling like I totally missed the point.  We started out with some gunner and his perfect recitation of the facts of the case.  Granted, that's how everyone should perform, so maybe gunner isn't the correct diction.  I just want to demonize the guy for doing well.   ;D

Don't demonize me too much.  Short-term memorization of collections of facts is something I'm good at.

:D

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »
Yes, you caught me.  I'm sure I'll be labelled as a gunner in classes.  I'm excited for classes and law school, and I'm not going to able to hide it.  You two may be a prime target for the label too, though, hanging out here on the boards so much.  :)

The extra details she provided about the case's background were interesting, and added on some of the outside factors that sometimes influence legal decisions.

margee

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:38:40 PM »
:D

Felsen was they guy in our mock class to whom the teacher posed questions.  At the beginning of class she asked what the case was about and he started spewing all the facts like he was reading them off the wall.

margee

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 05:40:53 PM »
 :D :D :D

yeah...

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 11:11:50 AM »
Not to sound incredibly stupid, but I've had my read up my @$$ for the past 3 month writing my thesis. What is IRAC (as opposed to Iraq; I'm not that dense).

Boy, you guys make me think I have a lot of work to do before August. Thanks for the help!

margee

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Not to sounds incredibly stupid, but I've had my read up my @$$ for the past 3 month writing my thesis. What is IRAC (as opposed to Iraq; I'm not that dense).

Boy, you guys make me think I have a lot of work to do before August. Thanks for the help!

It's the formula that one is supposed to use in legal writing: Issue, Rule, Application, Conclusion

But this really isn't anything anyone needs to know right now.  Just something I picked up along the way.
Seriously, don't prep.  It's not necessary, and it'll just burn you out faster :)