0 (0%)
Fair
 4 (66.7%)
Bad
 0 (0%)
*&^%
 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: If you're going to UT, clap your hands, *clap* *clap*  (Read 37064 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: If you're going to UT, clap your hands, *clap* *clap*
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »
I hate to jump in here as I'm a little off topic but here's the deal....

I was just admitted off the waitlist a few days ago but had standing plans to attend Northwestern.  At the beginning of the cycle, UT was my first choice.  Now I'm seeing UT and Northwestern as equals (although notably different).

I figure folks who have decided to attend UT are the best to poll for the major pros so if you have some thoughts please send me a PM (particularly if you faced a similar decision).

I'm a Californian so no in-state tuition to sway me.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Are you man or woman?

If man, UT coeds should be enough to sway you.
If woman, I should be enough to sway you.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »
I didn't investigate Northwestern at all, so I can't do a proper comparison.  Except for a handful of schools I had very little chance at getting into, I only applied to schools that were of the smaller city variety such as Austin.

Honestly, I think the decision comes down to location.  Would you prefer to live in the big city of Chicago, or the more moderately sized city of Austin?  Would you prefer Chicago winters during the school year or Austin summers during the break (when you could get an internship to migrate further north)?  Do you prefer to have greater employment chances in Chicago or Texas?

Additionally, do you want a class size of 240 or a class size of 450?  What is the cost difference?  (Even out-of-state UT shows up as 8K or so cheaper per year on tuition alone, then probably another 5Kish for cost of living).

For me all of these questions except for the class size would give me a resounding yes for Texas.  Add in the existence of my wife's extended family all living in the area and that's what pushed me towards Texas over many of the other schools I considered.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »
You silly boys, did you not see her picture on the kiddie board?  She's out of your league.

Terpsichore, are you wanting to practice in Cali?  Any idea what sort of law?

What is the kiddie board? Pictures? Why am I always out of the loop?
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »
She's out of your league.

mouse pointer hovers over the "defame" button as he contemplates quip

On the pre-law board.

There are pictures there?  ???

Researching...

Brave, can you link me?
Carlos Cadena Society

lil kat

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2006, 09:00:09 PM »
If woman, I should be enough to sway you.

you wish nix  :P

...i have a feeling that my lonely rep point is about to disappear, haha!

terpsichore

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
She's out of your league.
mouse pointer hovers over the "defame" button as he contemplates quip

:D

Sorry, that was sorta snippy wasn't it?  But really, she has a nice online persona in addition to that striking headshot.  I read a bunch of her posts because we had similar numbers and she was always very sharp and (unlike the majority of the pre-law kids) mostly very professional.  I think we'd be lucky to get her in our class.

Thank you!  To be fair, I have almost four years as a LSAT instructor under my belt and after a few of my students and employer (!) recognized me here (pre-avatar) I realized that LSD and LSN isn't as anonymous as we might sometimes like ;)  I try to make sure that what I say here mirrors what I would say in class.

Thanks for the input re UT!  Even though the schools are dramatically different I think they're both such a great match.  Are any of you going to UT with the intention of practicing outside of the state?  A big question I have about UT is the success of students in landing jobs in California.  Is the list of firms that make a regular stop at UT OCI available on the web?  I noticed Cravath in the slideshow but haven't come across anything else yet.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2006, 11:33:12 PM »
At the beginning of the cycle, UT was my first choice.  Now I'm seeing UT and Northwestern as equals (although notably different).

I figure folks who have decided to attend UT are the best to poll for the major pros so if you have some thoughts please send me a PM (particularly if you faced a similar decision).

I'm a Californian so no in-state tuition to sway me.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

I faced a similar decision just a few days ago as well when my original first choice, Vanderbilt, called and offered me a position in the class off the waitlist. What helped me most was just trying to remember how I felt when visiting both schools. Did either school just feel 'right'? Were there any nagging misgivings that you had about Northwestern that could lead you to regret not going to UT later on?

I went with my heart and just chose the school that felt like a better fit for me (UT).

I hope this helps...

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
A big question I have about UT is the success of students in landing jobs in California.

Where are you from or do you live in CA? I live in San Diego.
Carlos Cadena Society

terpsichore

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2006, 04:26:29 PM »
A big question I have about UT is the success of students in landing jobs in California.

Where are you from or do you live in CA? I live in San Diego.

Newport Beach

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »
Newport Beach

Nice! I am up there fairly often because all the good car shops in CA are in LA. There is some awesome high class burrito joint (read: burritos and top shelf drinks in a lounge) next to a marina out there, but I can't remember the name. Our car clubs meet there occasionally.
Carlos Cadena Society