Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who is your favorite SCOTUS Justice? Why?

Breyer
Stevens
O’Connor
Scalia
Kennedy
Souter
Thomas
Ginsburg

Author Topic: liberal or conservative  (Read 523 times)

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
liberal or conservative
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:31:30 AM »
I realize that Alabama students are going to be more conservative than BOALT's.  What I want to know is are the law students at your school more or less liberal than the undergraduate students at that same school.

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
Re: liberal or conservative
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
I have no freaking idea, but I did read the results of a Gallup Poll once that said the more education a person attained to, the more conservative they became... But that doesn't explain most of the Tier 1...  :-\
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:33:40 PM »
both correlate independently with wealth. at top UG schools, law students may have lower expectations of future wealth than undergrads, and consequently be more liberal.
case '09

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:01:36 AM »
there's so many confounding variables and differences in people that you could never lump all law students into a particular catagory.  You may have some students there for tax law and other for criminal defense which is going cause some students to lean either to left or right.  also schools in new york, philly, cali and boston are generally going to be more liberal then your schools in the south or midwest.  also religious vs. secular affiliation will play a huge role as well.  i think you're going to have a lot more conservative republicans at villanova than temple one of the major decisions in picking schools to apply to in both ugrad and law was i wanted a lack of religious affiliation because of the way my high school experience was forcing catholism down my throught so i think law students are just too diverse a group to fit neatly into one category.