Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: STANDOUT CASES  (Read 9814 times)

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
STANDOUT CASES
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »
HI guys!  Ok, I am starting Law School in the fall, and I was wondering what cases really stood out (or traumatized you so much) that you still remember the name today.  Also, does anyone here go to Hofstra? :)
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

phosita

• View Profile
Re: STANDOUT CASES
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »
There are a couple of cases that standout (e.g. Marbury v. Madison, Palsgraf v. Long Island R.R., World Wide Volkswagen v. Woodson, the Erie line of cases, etc.) but I think it's the basic principles that will stick with you the most.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:45:18 PM »
Palsgraf.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »
Pennoyer
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:34:55 PM »
The Head Cut off by the Elevator case from Torts; I never did catch the name, and with facts like those, you don't have to.   :P
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:17:02 PM »
The Head Cut off by the Elevator case from Torts; I never did catch the name, and with facts like those, you don't have to.   :P

Damn, we didn't cover that case. Sounds like a good one though.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »

Damn, we didn't cover that case. Sounds like a good one though.

It was actually just mentioned briefly in the notes following a one of the cases we read on emotional distress (I believe the principle case we read was Portee v. Jafee, the My-kid-got-stuck-in-the-elevator-and-I-listened-to-him-moan-in-agony-until-he-died case).  The cases on emotional distress were just awful in general; ome of my sectionmates had nightmares.   :-\
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:05:27 PM »

d**mn, we didn't cover that case. Sounds like a good one though.

It was actually just mentioned briefly in the notes following a one of the cases we read on emotional distress (I believe the principle case we read was Portee v. Jafee, the My-kid-got-stuck-in-the-elevator-and-I-listened-to-him-moan-in-agony-until-he-died case).  The cases on emotional distress were just awful in general; ome of my sectionmates had nightmares.   :-\

My fav. had to be in contracts, although I can't remember the name. It involved  what should have been a standard home sale except that, after the sale was complete and the buyer moved in, the seller started promoting the house as being haunted. The buyer then sued, claiming his wife was now too scared to sleep in the house and that not disclosing the haunting was fraud. The opinion was full of puns, said that the seller was estopped from claiming the house wasn't haunted, and pointed out that there was a good, although unmade, argument for the seller having breached the clause in the contract requiring the house to be unoccupied when the buyer took possesion. Kind of a silly case, but it was a nice note to end fall semester on - I guess that's one of the pluses of having a professor that writes his own casebook.

ttbt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »
Leonard v. Pepsico (the Harrier Jet case)

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:10:31 PM »
The flaming rat case and the one where the dude survived a plane crash, but died when a volcano erupted on the island he crash-landed on.