Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades - class rank help!!  (Read 1291 times)

delta78

• View Profile
    • Email
Grades - class rank help!!
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:04 AM »
Hi,

I just got my second semester grades back. I was in the top %5 with a 3.90 gpa in the first semester but I got a B- from a class in the second semester. I was planning to apply to some t14 schools but my overall gpa fell to 3.73. Considering 3.90 put me in %5 in the first semester, anyone has any idea where 3.73 would put me in? I am currently at a mid T2, which has a B curve. Also  with a B- do I still have a shot for schools like Penn, NYU etc? I am having a diffucult time and I would really appreciate any info. Thanks a lot..

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grades - class rank help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:41:15 AM »
I think you are up in the air until rankings come out.... appears like a crap shoot to me...

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:10:52 AM »
gulc ea
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

delta78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess I would have to wait for 3-4 weeks for rankings to find out but it would be too late to apply then. :-[ I just want to know whether anyone has a similar experience from a school that has a similar curve. Thanks.

ttbt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:02:14 PM »
%5 with a 3.90 gpa in the first semester

What grades exactly did you get the first semester that produced the 3.9 GPA?

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:06:33 AM »
Davis has a B-curve but generally that turns into top 5% being 3.7 or above and top 10% being 3.55 and above.  My bet is that you are definitely in the top 10% of the class and shoudl therefore apply to schools in and on the cusp of, T-14.  Good luck!

delta78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »
Krisace,

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess at best I will be in the border of top %10. I cannot complain but the B- killed all my transfer plans. I will still go ahead and apply to NYU, Columbia and Penn but I am not sure about my chances of getting in. If in a B- curve the cutoff for %10 is 3.55, I might not even get into %10. Anyway, I guess I will wait and see.
Thanks.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »
No, oops...that was my fault.  I wrote that Davis has a B curve (hyphenating the phrase)...sorry about that.  I think you'll probably finish higher than you're anticipating so you really should apply to all those top schools.  You'll probably get into at least one of them.  Exciting times...