Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for a roommate Aug.1...  (Read 5719 times)

sirromilla

• View Profile
Looking for a roommate Aug.1...
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:55:03 AM »
Is anyone looking for a roommate for the upcoming year? Any information/suggestions/advice on housing?
Also, is there an official USD Class of '09 thread yet?

snobord99

Re: Looking for a roommate Aug.1...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:37:46 AM »
I'm looking, and I did start a thread for the class of 09 in the pre-law section.

sirromilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:57:21 AM »
Any good finds? I've been searching Craigslist, but don't plan to move until Aug 1. USD mentioned something about a roommate list in June, but I have no idea how they are planning on compiling that since they haven't sent me anything about it. U? How is the thread in pre-law? Should I join or should we start a new one here?

snobord99

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:21:02 AM »
Yea, I've been doing the same (craigs and whatever random sites I happen upon).  I'm not sure how they're planning on doing the roommate list either, I hope they don't end up just sending us a list of all the 1Ls or students or whatever and actually try to compile an actual roommate list.  The thread in prelaw is pretty dead, I think it's cuz not too many people on LSD are headed to USD.  Hell, in here it's just me and you thus far.

sirromilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:00:16 AM »
Well, tell me about yourself. Why USD? Did you go to the accepted students thing? If so, what was it like? Meet any cool people, professors, etc.? I've spent a lot of time in SoCal, but never actually made it to San Diego. Would love to hear your thoughts.

snobord99

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 05:58:42 AM »
For me the choice really came down to USD v Tulane.  At the time I decided on USD, Tulane was the one offering me money.  Ultimately it was the fact that USD=California that made me choose it.  My other options weren't very appealing so I didn't even consider them that much.  I LOVED New Orleans (yes, post hurricane, I've not been there prior) but just didn't like the fact that coming back to Cali post-grad is a lot harder, I searched my mind for every reason possible to pick Tulane over USD because I REALLY wanted to be there during the reconstruction, but I just couldn't find enough pros to outweigh the pros offered by USD.  I did go to the accepted student thing and I have to say of the 3 I went to, it was the best one.  Granted most of this is mainly based on the food they served  :D.  The only thing I didn't really like as much is that at Tulane they had us sit in on a class and it was a VERY good class whereas at USD they did a "mock" class and it's not as representative of an actual class as I would have liked.  Other than that, every school was pretty much the same.  You sit there while they sell you the school, all of which repeat very similar things.  IMO, if you've seen one, you've seen them all.  It's just a matter of seeing the actual campus.  I first visited in Dec after I got in and I immediately fell in LOVE with the campus.  It's San Diego first of all, I'm not big on buildings/architecture but one of my favorite styles is Spanis (which USD is) and, what really sold me, is the fact that pretty much all the students I met there seemed GENUINELY happy.  I've been in So Cal almost my whole life (minus before I was even in the country which I was too young to really remember anyways and the 3 years I spent in the bay area) but I've only been to SD a handful of times so I can't give too much input into the city.  What about you?  What's your story?  I assume you've not visited the campus yet?

sirromilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
I feel you on the Tulane thing. I was offered $20k renewable there and it is an amazing school! That said, I'm not a huge fan of the humidity and I have heard almost entirely negative things about New Orleans post-Katrina. San Diego, on the other hand, seems to be loved by everyone who has ever been there. I haven't visited the campus (will be there the third week of June) or the city, but have spent some time in the LA, Ventura, Santa Barbara areas and loved it! I currently live in Lexington, KY and am looking for a totally different atmosphere/experience. I feel pretty confident that moving 2500 miles away will accomplish that objective! As I have no firm feelings on where I would like to practice law I haven't had to take that into consideration. Mostly letting the reputation of the school, city, etc. make my decision for me. I'm extremely excited, but also a little nervous. It's difficult making arrangements from so far away! Basically putting a lot of faith into the info we're expecting from the school later on this month! Have you begun your financial aid arrangements yet? I will have to take out some private loans and am unsure as to when I should do that. Also, do you know when we would receive any of our living expenses $$ from our finaid? I would like to use some of that towards the cost of relocating.

snobord99

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:07:04 AM »
I'm pretty clueless on the fin aid process but I just e-mailed them to get more info.  I definitely have to get private loans so that's something I need to look into pretty soon.  Haha, yea, the move from LA to SD is already a pain I can't even begin imagine what the move from KY to SD is like.  I'm going to start to look into private loans probably within the month.  As far as moving expenses, I'm pretty sure you're SOL on that.  From what I understand you don't/won't get any money from fin aid until at the very least after registration.  In fact, I don't think we'll be getting anything until around the first day of class so I definitely wouldn't depend on fin aid for moving expenses.

ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
Hey guys Im also looking for a roomate for AUG 1... Im making the move from Victoria, Canada... if either of you (or both) are seriously interested in this, lets exchange emails to meet, and then we can go from there....

I think I would preferably like to live in Pacific Beach, it looks close, rent seems decent if you share (especially with 3 or more people), and I have been there before quite a few times, its a great neighborhood IMO. Right on the beach, young and easy going.

Myself, I am a laid back guy looking for someone (or people) who want something relatively nice. I think its doable if you share rent, a decent place to me is really important.

Its hard looking for roomates in another city, let alone another country! I think a fellow law student is probably gonna have similar needs for a house or apartment. As long as you respect each other things are going to work out

So email me if you are thinkin similar thoughts

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:50:35 AM »
If anyone if looking for a roommate then let me know. I have a 75 pound Australian Cattle Dog and will be looking to rent a place with a yard. I'm not really picky but it's always nice to have roommates who don't party, especially since we'll be going to law school.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN