Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help with a Contract... whos willing to show their skills...  (Read 347 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
This soon-to-be 1L could use some help from his peers and elders if possible... I will be moving into my new apartment starting June 1st with two other roomates. I would like to draw up a contract basically stating each person will have to pay his share of the rent ($1,550.00/3). One of the guys isnt so reliable, so I could really use an "air-tight" contract in case he decides a few months down the road he wants to skip out on the rent and bills. If someone could draft me up a thorough and legit contract for this... i would be so greatly appreciative. Seeing as how I have yet to start law school and have that wonderful contracts class, this could really help. Thanks again, and to clarify, each person would be responsible for 517.00 in rent plus 1/3 of the bills (gas, electric, cable, internet, phone). Thanks you so much to anyone who can help!

-mike

if more info is needed PM or post
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a Contract... whos willing to show their skills...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:13:13 AM »
I don't think that you'll receive any responses from this board. Only licensed attorneys (w/ the help of those working under their supervision) can practice law, which is what drafting a contract is.

If it's that big of a concern, you should seek the help of an attorney. You could always draft it yourself or use a pre-printed form contract (which you should be careful in doing).

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:52:54 AM »
If he's not reliable, find a different roomate. There is no practical way to beat the rent out of him if he doesn't pay. Contract, shmontract.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:10:17 AM »
I won't give any legal advice because I'm not a lawyer yet. However, you can go to your local law library or public library that has a legal librarian and ask if they have any treatises or other books with standard rental contracts and forms. All this stuff is complicate so you really need an attorney, but that will give you a start.

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »
Like other posters have said, the only legal advice law students can give is that we're not qualified to give legal advice. That said, there's probably no practical benefit in getting your rental contract with your roommates set out in writing. If someone does skip out, it'll almost certainly cost you more than a couple of months rent to try and get your money through litigation. If you're that worried you should find a more reliable roommate.

Good luck at law school.