Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school effort  (Read 1369 times)

ray7

• View Profile
Law school effort
« on: May 20, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
I will be a 1L in the fall and I am curious as to what the student body will be like. Are there students that are just happy to be there and put forth little effort, or do all students live in the library like you read in the books. I guess you can say I am just trying to get a feel for the competition. Thanks in advance.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school effort
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »
When you first start law school, everyone will be really friendly. Cliques form rapidly but mid-way through the first semester ppl start to branch out and your section is just one big clique. First year students definitely go overboard on the studying. Where they study depends on wherever they feel like studying. Some will study in the library. Others prefer to study at Starbucks, while the rest study at home. Generally, most ppl are cooperative and not as cut-throat during your first year. All of that begins during the write-on competition and OCI.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 06:59:28 PM »
Are there slackers? Who finishes at the bottom of the curve?

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »
Honestly, there is no way that you can tell on your first day of orientation who will be in the top 10% and who will be in the bottom 1/2. Even during the semester, the ppl who seem to have all of the answer in class may only do slightly above average. Everyone knows the material/rules come exam time. The difference in grades comes from whether they know how to apply it.

antigiraffe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 08:40:15 PM »
dont listen to giraffe's advice, rumor has it she slept w the dean for her grades, and her reputation on this site is horrible

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:20 AM »
Even if she does, why do you care so much?

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »
You really think every person has a strong command of the material come exam time? I feel like in every school no matter what level you are going to have students who slack and not be prepared.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
You absolutely have people who are not as prepared as others. There is a forced curve but generally most students will fall into it without being forced there.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 01:42:10 PM »
Yea monkeys see that makes alot more sense to me. That is what I was trying to get a feel for.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
You absolutely have people who are not as prepared as others. There is a forced curve but generally most students will fall into it without being forced there.

I disagree. Most, meaning 90% or more, of the students know the BLL and all the cases. If you talk to ppl beforehand, they can spew it all out perfectly. At least that has been my experience. What separates the A students from the B and C is whether they know how to apply it. It does no good to know what Rule 12(b)(6) is if you cannot properly recognize when it should be applied and properly apply it to the fact pattern. Sure 70% or more students will recognize that the prof has set you up for  a 12(b)(6) discussion. Less than that will properly apply it, however. Just b/c not everyone applied it correctly doesn't mean that they slacked off during the semester or didn't bother to read. Law school is full of smart ppl. Some are just smarter than others.