Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering from a part time program  (Read 662 times)

ggg458

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfering from a part time program
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:17:12 AM »
  I was wondering if anyone had any info about transfering from a part time program after the first year.  I know to transfer into another full time program you generally have to finish your second year.  I would eventually like to transfer up into the top 20( UT or USC) and was wondering the best way to go about it.  The part time program I was accepted to is in bottom of tier 1 and the full time programs I have been accepted to are in the middle of tier two.  Any advice?

est1769

• View Profile
Re: Transfering from a part time program
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:12:51 PM »
I'm in the same situation as you.  I'm looking to transfer after my first year at USF's PT program to Loyola or USD's PT program.  From what I understand, you can transfer to other PT programs after either your first or second year but to FT programs only after your second year.  Some schools, like Georgetown, require PT students to have a minimum number of credits in order to transfer so you should make sure that your first year schedule will give you enough credits to transfer to the school you want.

Also, you should know that transferring is a very difficult thing and not something one should count on.  Generally speaking, you have to be in the top 20% of your class to have a shot and schools like USC won't even accept transfer applications from those who are not.  If you're not going to be happy getting a JD at the school you initially attend, then you should just reapply next year.  Like you, I'm hoping to transfer up but I'd be OK with graduating from USF should things not work out.