Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for old study aids?  (Read 939 times)

lala321

• View Profile
Advice for old study aids?
« on: May 19, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
Hello-

I just finished my first year of law school- does anyone see a good reason to keep all of these old study aids?  I assume bar prep courses give you study aids.  I would love to sell them and earn some extra cash.  Any advice?

thanks

minerva

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice for old study aids?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:31:51 AM »
Sell your study aids if your going to take a prep course like barbri that gives you outlines. The only ones I would keep are for classes you might take an advanced elective in, like advanced evidence or advanced criminal procedure.

lala321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 07:56:32 AM »
Thanks- good advice!

Backpack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 10:56:22 AM »
Quick question... as a soon-to-be 1L, when you say study aids what are you referring to?  Is that the same as your outline?  Where can I get a look at a sample outline for school?  Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous about my first year.  Silly things like taking notes on a laptop in class for the first time are making me anxious... haha <--nervous laughter.

Did you all find that people got into study groups really fast, or did they take their time and evaluate who were the brightest students?

Anyway, sorry to add questions to the post, but you all seemed nice so I figured I would ask.  Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

minerva

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »
The study aids I was talking about come in a couple of different groups. There are canned outlines, which is a book that is an outline of the whole course, in a generic sense. Sometimes, in subjects like torts and property, the outline will correspond with a specific textbook. Different people have different opinions of these, but I liked them as a secondary source, to clarify things I may have missed in the textbook or in class. They also have canned briefs which are pre-made briefs of cases from various textbooks.

These are different from your own personal outline, which you make from your own notes and the textbook, but they can come in handy as a supplement.

The other kinds are aids like examples and explanations (E&E), which read more like a book and provide a good summary of topics in each class. They also have practice question and answers for each topic. I found this especially helpful at study time.

Personally, I would read the E&E for the topic before I did the casebook reading to get an idea of the subject so I know what is important and what isnít.

Finally, you have hornbooks, which look and read like a textbook but without the cases; it just tells you the law. The "In a NutshellĒ series are pretty much a condensed version of the hornbook. Hornbooks are more a legal reference than a study aid; actual lawyers use them to familiarize themselves with legal subject. These can come in handy for stuff that may be hard to understand from the textbook alone, like hearsay or the more arcane property principles.

All three are different and each have there pros and cons. The best thing to do is look through all three at some point and see which you like best, everyone is different. Also, before you buy any see what you library has on reserve. Hornbooks almost always are, and books like E&E usually are.

As for study groups, I personally didnít get into one till the middle of the semester, when I started making my outlines. You best bet is to wait a little and find a group you compatible with but not so friendly you don't get anything done. I wouldnít stress it if I didnít find one right away.

As far as taking notes in class, donít stress it. If you do the reading and brief your cases you donít need to take a whole lot of notes, so itís not hard to keep up, even if you are a lousy typer like me.

Backpack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
Thank you, Minerva, for the explaination(s).  It all seems so complicated, but from what you write it sounds as if it'll clear up with time.  You've already been so helpful... I'm curious, though, whether you found your first year/semester to be as labor intensive as everyone says.  I mean, the picture that people paint is that if I sleep then I'll fall behind.  Did you have a chance to relax and maybe watch a movie or two, or was your entire week filled to the brim with work?

Thanks again!

tix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »
Yes, this is something I've been wondering also. I've gotten tired of reading the "advice" from 0L's who state a lot of what they say as if it's fact. And yet it's difficult to believe they know the inside scoop on how law school is when they've never participated in a single class. So, what do you say law school is like?

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »
You will definitely study a lot in your first year. However, you will have time to watch your favorite tv shows, go to the gym, catch a movie, etc. It's all about how you prioritize your time. The periods of little to no sleep are generally centered around when your legal writing briefs are due and finals.

Backpack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:51 PM »
Giraffe, you always seem to be helping people and answering questions... I appreciate it, thanks.  It's quite a relief to know that I'll have time to eat, breath, and stop at traffic lights :)

I have another question, and you may be the best person to answer it actually.  Did you find that in law school your fellow classmates were as, well, mean-spirited as some of the people on this discussion board?  I'm referring to the post "encouragement needed" or whatever - the one where her dad posted the note.  I'm coming from business school (a grad program), and I'm astounded by the way some of the people here treat others (present company excluded, obviously).  It's unbelievable.  Just curious.

Thanks, again, for the reply.

Backpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
I mention business school only because of the emphasis we place on networking,  collaborating, etc... I would have figured that, with as difficult as law school seems to be, people would try to be as nice as possible so they have others around to help them when they need it...?