Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from NYLS (3rd tier)  (Read 1847 times)

burberry

• View Profile
Transferring from NYLS (3rd tier)
« on: May 19, 2006, 05:53:50 PM »
Wanted to get some opinions before wasting my money.

My grades were alright last semester--top 15%, and this semester I may have f*ed up a little, so anything is possible, I'm expecting top 30-40% for the year.

Now that the damage is done, do I still have a chance at transferring? If so, which schools? I wanted to try some schools in DC & CA as well as Brooklyn Law & Cardozo. Is that off limits now?

Thanks for any info.

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from NYLS (3rd tier)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »
With a top 30-40% I'd expect that you'd have a decent chance at tier 2's and maybe some low tier 1's.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »
I am not familiar with the particular school, but most require top 15%.  I highly doubt you could go from top 30% at a t3 to a low t1.  Keep your ranking in top 15% range though and you should be fine transferring to a t2.  Honestly though most applications run about 50 bucks (plus lsac fees) so it is not that much money to apply. (They almost always if not always want a transcript saying you are in good standing and eligible to continue, but most schools have a box on the transcript request to ask for this). Check the websites first though, many of them have a link for transfer students and on what scores are competitive.

oh

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
I'm exactly 50% at a tier 4 and have been accepted to one tier 1 and 2 tier 2s.  It can be done.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 08:59:56 PM »
I'm exactly 50% at a tier 4 and have been accepted to one tier 1 and 2 tier 2s.  It can be done.

Which Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools did you got accepted to?  Last year or this year?  What made you stand out?  This seems fishy.

oh

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:06:33 AM »
denver case wustl....what's fishy?

Seriously, I've spent a lot of time on this forum and others trying to encourage those who have gotten bad info about the transfer process.  Why would I lie?

burberry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
Just got my rank--top 1/3, 34% to be exact. Should I bother applying to schools like Fordham (32) & George Mason (37)? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

chicothegreat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »
Wait a second here. Top 30% goes to Tier 1?  I'm in a PT program, but I gurantee I'm in the top 10% at a Tier 4. Where should I be applying??

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:25:39 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »
denver case wustl....what's fishy?

Seriously, I've spent a lot of time on this forum and others trying to encourage those who have gotten bad info about the transfer process.  Why would I lie?

Com'on, let's get real, it's either you're lying or you have something "special."   A typical law student in the middle of his/her class at a tier 4 will not be accepted to a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 school.