Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNLV PT  (Read 934 times)

yeldaw

• View Profile
UNLV PT
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:03:36 PM »
I'm new to the group.  A lot of good information.  I'm starting the UNLV PT evening program in the fall.  I haven't found too much information on previous posts.  Anyone else attending UNLV?

missliad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNLV PT
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »
I was just accepted off the waitlist - also part time evening and I just sent off the seat deposit.  I live here in Vegas and unfortunately know nothing about Boyd.  Have you done a tour or sat in on any classes?

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »
I'm a 3L. Law review. Feel free to ask any questions or send me a PM.

missliad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:05:57 PM »
Are you Part-time?  I think I read a post on the pre-law board not too long ago about the opportunities available to part-time students (i.e. student organizations) were far and few between. Can you comment on any of the professors that teach 1L classes? Do you have any words of wisdom for entering 1Ls?

THANKS!

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:37:12 PM »
I am a full-time student. The amount of opportunities as a night-time or PT day student will depend largely on your work schedule. If you only work 20 hrs/wk, you will have more time to attend lunches w/ a guest speaker, etc. If you work 40 hrs/wk, then you won't have a lot of extra time for that stuff. Night students can attend day events. However, it is difficult to schedule guest speakers for night students. There are, however, some events for night students.

As far as the profs are concerned...some are awesome and some not so much. That's just how it goes at most schools.

You should seriously just enjoy your summer. Read a book for fun. Go out and party. Your first year is tough, but fun. Once you hit the spring semester of your second year, it is a lot easier.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 02:50:04 AM »
I'm a part-time night student who just completed her second year (gee, only 2 more years to go...what fun).  If you have any specific questions you'd like me to address, send me a PM.

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 09:16:45 AM »
I am also starting the evening program this fall.
1L Boyd Law - UNLV
I'm so old - I went to preschool with God.

ggg458

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »
Did any one in either one of your sections end up transfering and to where?  Do you have any thoughts on how easy it is to transfer if you are part time?

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 06:06:35 PM »
After my first year, the top two students transfered to GULC through their early decision program. As a part-time student you will generally need to finish 30 credit hours before you can transfer to another school. If you meant transferring to the full-time day division, you may have to wait until you finish your second year and will need good grades.  That's just a guess though.

ggg458

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
Were you able to get an internship after your first year, or was it common for the part time participants? Also, if so was it a paid internship?