Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG Corps  (Read 2350 times)

Hurricane9

• View Profile
JAG Corps
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »
I am in incoming 1L and very interested in the JAG Corps.  When should I get started with this?  What are the major differences between branches?  How competitive is it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wardwilliams

Re: JAG Corps
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »
I am going into my first year too and am also interested in this.  I have heard it is pretty competetive, like most Federal jobs.  I have heard some people say that the Air Force is the way to go because it is the easiest lifestyle, whereas in the Marines, you are a "Marine first;" and therefore it is possible you could be riding with a convoy advising various commanders and come under fire, etc, etc.  There are a few threads around LSD that talk about JAG, although I haven't find them all too helpful. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 06:58:08 AM »
Use the search feature.  There was a large post on here in the past.  You can also check the pre-law forums.  If you have any questions relating to the Marine side of things I will be happy to help.

Just bare in mind that for the Marine Corps you are an Officer first and a JAG second.  You will still have to get through a hellish ten week OCS program with around a 35-45% attrition rate and six months of infantry training at The Basic School before you ever enter JAG training.

Good Luck.
Attending GW in Fall '06

thelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »
any advice on which branch has the best JAG?  Navy, marines...?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »
any advice on which branch has the best JAG?  Navy, marines...?

It all depends on what you want.  You become a Marine to become a Marine.  If you are mostly set on being a JAG and want the best quality of life, then go with the Air Force.  They by far have the best quality of life. 

Each branch has its' own merits.  Research them and decide which one is for you.
Attending GW in Fall '06

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:40:58 AM »
I was in line to go JAG not too long ago. PM me if you want more information
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

stopdrinkin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:49:37 AM »
Hi,

I will be applying to law schools this fall and reentering the military to serve in the JAG Corps afterwards.
My questions are as follows:

1) Because I will have 13 years of legal experience when I retire from the military, should I be as concerned about school recognition when deciding upon law schools?

2) Because I will not be attending a T14 school, should I attend the school that offers the most money, thereby removing the burden of oppressive debt?

I plan to retire and return to SC, NC or GA; however, plans do change.

Here are my target schools:

Vanderbilt
Emory
William and Mary
University of North Carolina
Wake forest
University of Georgia
Georgia State University
University of South Carolina (Safety)
Mercer (Safety)
Campbell (Safety)

Thanks.

Hester

quidpro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »

Hi,

I will be applying to law schools this fall and reentering the military to serve in the JAG Corps afterwards.
My questions are as follows:

1) Because I will have 13 years of legal experience when I retire from the military, should I be as concerned about school recognition when deciding upon law schools?

Yes.

2) Because I will not be attending a T14 school, should I attend the school that offers the most money, thereby removing the burden of oppressive debt?

Yes.