Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Encouragement needed  (Read 4933 times)

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Encouragement needed
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »
I'm the daughter that wrote that post.

1. I'm 3rd in my class.
2. I'm on full tuition scholarship.
3. What the scholarship doesn't cover I pay for myself.
4. I was one of 15 people chosen out of over 100 for the school's Mock Trial team, which is a committment equal in hours and work to Journal.
5. So I think not enjoying Journal doesn't make me a bad person.

What have you done lately?
I'm sure you'll reply and just say I'm bragging.  But anyone as judgmental, shortsighted and inflammatory as you should never be a lawyer either. Seems you're missing the basic humanity and openmindedness it takes to make an effective client advocate (evidenced by your negative 14 reputation rating...). 

One thing that you obviously have missed is that anytime you feel the need to brag about your accomplishments, someone can always one-up you.

1. I am #1 in my class
2. I am Managing Editor of my Law Review
3. I am Editor-in-Chief of a secondary journal
4. I am a full-time legal assistant to a federal appellate judge
5. I have three years experience as a Legislative Assistant for a senior U.S. Senator

I think most people on this board, and especially the prelaw board, will tell you that they rarely hear me tout my accomplishments. I learned my lesson the hard way also.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 04:46:42 PM »
what this person needs to learn is it does not get any easyer once you become an attorney. Having your dad complain for you is pathetic.  Cut her a break? She needs to learn now that being a lawyer is not easy, what will she do when she works her first 80 hour week?  My firm requires 2100 billable hours, the pay is great but to make the min billable 60 hour weeks are the norm.

TheMistyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »

One thing that you obviously have missed is that anytime you feel the need to brag about your accomplishments, someone can always one-up you.

1. I am #1 in my class
2. I am Managing Editor of my Law Review
3. I am Editor-in-Chief of a secondary journal
4. I am a full-time legal assistant to a federal appellate judge
5. I have three years experience as a Legislative Assistant for a senior U.S. Senator

I think most people on this board, and especially the prelaw board, will tell you that they rarely hear me tout my accomplishments. I learned my lesson the hard way also.

What YOU obviously have missed is that I wasn't trying to brag, nor do I think there's any chance I'm the most accomplished person on this Board.  I was trying to point out to the idiot who said I was lazy and shouldn't be a lawyer that he jumped to a conclusion that was completely unfounded.  But YOU certainly jumped at the chance to brag, didn't you? :)

TheMistyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »
what this person needs to learn is it does not get any easyer once you become an attorney. Having your dad complain for you is pathetic.  Cut her a break? She needs to learn now that being a lawyer is not easy, what will she do when she works her first 80 hour week?  My firm requires 2100 billable hours, the pay is great but to make the min billable 60 hour weeks are the norm.

As I continue defending myself... mine is hardly the first post I've seen about about the stress of the write-on competition. Do you think everyone who doesn't particularly enjoy the write-on process has no business being a lawyer?  Of course I realize it's not easy to be an attorney; I worked in a law office for 2 years before ever going to law school.  That doesn't mean that all the work is fun, nor that you're required to pretend to THINK it's all fun, nor that someone having a tough time doesn't deserve motivation or encouragment.  A lot of people posting on this forum sound like miserable people who need a different career and really enjoy making others feel incompetent and inferior, furthering the already prevalent stereotype that lawyers are obnoxious, unfeeling people.  And finally, I did NOT "have my dad complain for me".  I posted an entry on my blog which is completely separate from this forum.  He, of his own accord, copied it here, thinking that a forum full of law students might have some input on getting through the write-on competition. WHAT was he thinking--that any group of law students might be helpful or have advice, as opposed to being derogatory and elitist...

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
The fact is your dad complained, partners in law firms hate complainers.  More writing advice "about about" will not get you on any journal.  Also starting a sentence with "And" is a sign of bad writing skills.  You obviously go to a t4 or non aba law school, and should give up trying to write onto a journal, you lack basic writing skills.  Also working in a law firm before law school is viewed by most partners as a NEGATIVE.  If you do not believe me read anonymous lawyers blog.  Paralegals carry a bad stigma with them for there entire career.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »
This board is so lame.  Every single student that ever graduated with a hard earned degree complained at one point or another.  Anyone who just finished exams and now is working on a paper is going to be a little worn out.  I can't believe how lame some people are, "law firms don't like complainers."  Well no *&^% shirlock.  No one likes a complainer, but one complaint doesn't make you a complainer.  Anyone who lives there entire life without voicing a single complaint is either mute or brain dead. 

I especially like the "don't brag about your accomplishments, because I can brag more than you can."  That makes tons of sense.  Actaully, it doesn't make any sense because she wasn't bragging in the first place, but only providing evidence towards the fact that she is a hard worker.

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
This board is so lame.  Every single student that ever graduated with a hard earned degree complained at one point or another.  Anyone who just finished exams and now is working on a paper is going to be a little worn out.  I can't believe how lame some people are, "law firms don't like complainers."  Well no *&^% shirlock.  No one likes a complainer, but one complaint doesn't make you a complainer.  Anyone who lives there entire life without voicing a single complaint is either mute or brain dead. 

I especially like the "don't brag about your accomplishments, because I can brag more than you can."  That makes tons of sense.  Actaully, it doesn't make any sense because she wasn't bragging in the first place, but only providing evidence towards the fact that she is a hard worker.

I agree with everything florida said.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »
The fact is your dad complained, partners in law firms hate complainers.  More writing advice "about about" will not get you on any journal.  Also starting a sentence with "And" is a sign of bad writing skills.  You obviously go to a t4 or non aba law school, and should give up trying to write onto a journal, you lack basic writing skills.  Also working in a law firm before law school is viewed by most partners as a NEGATIVE.  If you do not believe me read anonymous lawyers blog.  Paralegals carry a bad stigma with them for there entire career.

To top it off, this idiot is criticizing people's writing.  Starting a sentence with "and" means you must go to a t4?  Well, you must go to one to; last time I checked the correct word was "their," not "there."

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 07:51:51 PM »
I will admit I used the wrong spelling of their.  Starting a sentence with and is still bad english.  Also "Well, you must go to one to;" wrong punctuation, oh and also to should be too. 

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »
The fact is your dad complained, and partners in law firms hate complainers (How are these two clauses logically connected? Is her dad trying to get a job at a law firm?)More writing advice (You haven't given any writing advice yet so this can't be "more" writing advice. You were also missing a verb, e.g. "writing 'about about'...")Repeating words, such as when you wrote "about about", will not get you on any journal(poor phrasing - see below).  Also, starting a sentence with "And" is a sign of bad writing skills.  You obviously(If you need to use an adverb like "obviously," your conclusion is most likely not obvious) Your poor writing shows that you must go to a t4 or non aba4th tier or a non A.B.A. accredited law school, and should give up trying to write onto a journal, because you lack basic writing skills(If her poor writing is typical of her school, then shouldn't it suffice to write onto a journal at that school?)Also(repetetive)Moreover, working in a law firm before attending law school is viewed, by most partners, as a NEGATIVE.  If you do not believe me read anonymous lawyers blog (how many anonymous lawyers contribute to this blog and where are we supposed to find it?).  Paralegals(You seem to be assuming she was a paralegal) carry a bad stigma (redundant - there are no good stigmas) with them for theretheir entire career.

Overall, the writing style seemed clunky and fragmented and many of the conclusions reached had little or no support.