Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Encouragement needed  (Read 4942 times)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Encouragement needed
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
X

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2006, 05:53:01 PM »
...I work at a small law office, I printed this thread and showed them it to give them an indication of some of the people entering the legal profession....

As much as I agree with you, I don't think you can blame it solely on the people currently entering the profession.  This is what the current legal profession breeds.  Top firms and even medium sized firms don't put character first; they put grades, law review, moot court, journals, and frequently appearance before character. 

I knew a few people from my 1L class that made law review.  One guy was #3 in the class, and also made moot court.  He comes off alright at first, but after a few conversations you can tell he is a cocky bastard.  I know his girlfriend better than I know him.  She is beautiful and just generally a good person.  She graduated this year and she is waiting around for him.  I found out a couple weeks ago that he cheats on her on a regular basis, actually picks girls up at bars and takes them home in front of people from our law school, often times when his girlfriend had been out with them earlier in the night.  I know this other girl who made law review.  She came to school with an out-of-town boyfriend and immediately started cheating on him.  She did a summer abroad after 1L year, and her boyfriend flew across the pacific ocean to come see her.  She let him come all the way there, and when he got there she broke the news to him.

These people get recruited more than 90% of my 1L class, and 50% of my 1L class is envious of them.  The profession attracts these types of people, but it also creates them in my opinion.

Although I agree that the legal profession breeds competitive ppl, morality is a completely separate issue. Whether ppl cheat on their SO has no bearing on being sucessful in law school or in the legal profession. Faithfulness is not a requirement to be on law review. Moreover, ppl in all professions, sucessful or not, cheat on their SO. It's our selfish human nature.

In regards to the nasty comments posted about the Misty and her father, it's sad. When I first read it, I thought it was sweet that her father went through the trouble to help her. He wasn't trying to have ppl convince his daughter to do it, but instead to provide some support from ppl similarly situated. Yet, others responded by nit-picking at her sentences and drawing the conclusion that she doesn't deserve to be a lawyer. Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason she is exhausted by the write-on is b/c she has been working so hard and has so much passion for it?

antigiraffe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »
dont listen to giraffe's advice, rumor has it she slept w the dean for her grades, and her reputation on this site is horrible

TheMistyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2006, 10:26:09 PM »
Why won't you say what school you go to?

Because if I were to say what school I go to, people would continue to make unfounded conclusions about my school just as they did about me. 

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 12:11:14 AM »
Whether ppl cheat on their SO has no bearing on being sucessful in law school or in the legal profession. Faithfulness is not a requirement to be on law review.

No offense, but you are pointing out the painfully obvious.  Obviously monogomy is not a prerequisite for law review.  I was pointing out that most law firms seek grades over character.  Character is an easy thing to judge, in my opinion.

lawdaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2006, 12:26:18 AM »
Enough about giraffe205 she has done nothing but try to be helpfull. If you want to pick on her start your own thread.

lawdaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 12:29:27 AM »
I've asked the moderator to delete this whole thread.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
But this thread is so entertaining!!