Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Encouragement needed  (Read 4863 times)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Encouragement needed
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
Plus, Anonymous Lawyer is fiction, written by a Harvard law student.  It should not be cited as evidence that law firms look down on paralegals.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

lawdaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »
Enough already.  I thought I was trying to help.  How wrong I was.  It just goes to show that the old 80/20 principle is correct.

The 20% of you who tried to help and be supportive - thank you.
The other 80% - God help the Americal legal system.

TheMistyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
I've got to agree with my dad on this one.  God help the legal system. 

1. Just for the record, I'm not a poor writer at all.  I won't go into details, because, well, that would be "bragging".  I sincerely apologize for the double "about".  I realize that one slip up while typing quickly on an internet discussion forum negates years of writing experience and I might as well quit law school now.

2. I was, in fact, not a paralegal.  But I suppose my position as a legal secretary gives me even less credibility.  It's just sooo passe that some people think they'd like to have some life and work experience before going to law school.  They're all obviously underachievers and unworthy of a law license.

3. I do go to a T4. I'll freely admit it because I'm not the least bit ashamed.  I could have (easily) gotten into a T1 school, but applied only to this school, based on several factors (money, location, etc).  I love my school, the atmosphere and the sense of community, and not least of all the fact that I don't have to attend school with any of the morons who populate this Board thinking they're the sh*t even though they're dead last in their precious T1 class.

Suffice it to say I'm done with this website.  Many people here don't deserve to be lawyers, and God have mercy on your clients.  The way people treat each other here is worse than being in a sorority was.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 11:00:06 PM »
I will admit I used the wrong spelling of their.  Starting a sentence with and is still bad english.  Also "Well, you must go to one to;" wrong punctuation, oh and also to should be too. 

The difference is that you were pointing out poor writing as a sign of low intelligence while simultaneously writing poorly.  I would never argue that someone's writing on an internet forum is indicative of intelligence, so you pointing out my spelling error doesn't have quite the same affect.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
This thread is very weird. 

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 12:30:44 AM »
This is pathetic.  If it's so upsetting for your daughter to put in time, effort, and work, then nobody should hire her as a lawyer.  IF you're paying for her law school education, you're getting suckered. 

I'm the daughter that wrote that post.

1. I'm 3rd in my class.
2. I'm on full tuition scholarship.
3. What the scholarship doesn't cover I pay for myself.
4. I was one of 15 people chosen out of over 100 for the school's Mock Trial team, which is a committment equal in hours and work to Journal.
5. So I think not enjoying Journal doesn't make me a bad person.

What have you done lately?

I'm sure you'll reply and just say I'm bragging.  But anyone as judgmental, shortsighted and inflammatory as you should never be a lawyer either. Seems you're missing the basic humanity and openmindedness it takes to make an effective client advocate (evidenced by your negative 14 reputation rating...). 

I am the last person who is going to stop someone from bragging. go ahead. And keep working on that law jornal thing. you'll be a better person in the end. So I'm told
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »
I've got to agree with my dad on this one.  God help the legal system. 

1. Just for the record, I'm not a poor writer at all.  I won't go into details, because, well, that would be "bragging".  I sincerely apologize for the double "about".  I realize that one slip up while typing quickly on an internet discussion forum negates years of writing experience and I might as well quit law school now.

2. I was, in fact, not a paralegal.  But I suppose my position as a legal secretary gives me even less credibility.  It's just sooo passe that some people think they'd like to have some life and work experience before going to law school.  They're all obviously underachievers and unworthy of a law license.

3. I do go to a T4. I'll freely admit it because I'm not the least bit ashamed.  I could have (easily) gotten into a T1 school, but applied only to this school, based on several factors (money, location, etc).  I love my school, the atmosphere and the sense of community, and not least of all the fact that I don't have to attend school with any of the morons who populate this Board thinking they're the sh*t even though they're dead last in their precious T1 class.

Suffice it to say I'm done with this website.  Many people here don't deserve to be lawyers, and God have mercy on your clients.  The way people treat each other here is worse than being in a sorority was.

[/quote

I've said it before and I will say it again. If I were judged based on my mesage board posts, I wouldnt be allowed to take the LSAT. As it happens, though, I just booked Legal Writing. Why? Because I pay far more attention to my writing IRL than I do on message boards. As I am sure MistyCat does. I don't put forth nearly a fraction of the effort on a stupid message board that I do in real life on a memo. Yes I know IRL my spelling and grammar sucks, which is why I live by the Redbook. In no way does Mistycats messages here relfect how she writes and "performs" in real life.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

jt3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2006, 12:58:27 AM »
Why won't you say what school you go to?

Noone likes elitists

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 03:31:22 AM »
I have been astounded by the posts in this thread and others.  I work at a small law office....I printed this thread and showed them it to give them an indication of some of the people entering the legal profession.  Needless to say, their responses were negative.  I can't explain to you all how poorly your posts come across....the attitude that some people have is truly astounding.  The dad that started this thread is no diffferent than your fathers', he is concerned about his child, and decided to post on this forum.  For that, he and his daughter deserve to be vilified????  Advice:  this whole game is all a means to an end anyway....Be a good person first.

THE MAN IN THE GLASS:
"When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
and the world makes you king for a day,
just go to the mirror and look at yourself,
and see what that man has to say.

For it isn't your father or mother or wife
who's judgement upon you must pass;
the fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
is the one staring back from the glass.

Some people may think you're a straight-shootin chum
and call you a wonderful guy,
but the man in the glass says you're only a bum,
if you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the fellow to please, nevermind all the rest
for he's with you clear up to the end,
and you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
if the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
and get pats on the back as you pass,
but your final reward will be heartache and tears,

IF YOU"VE CHEATED THE MAN IN THE GLASS.

-Anon.

**This post was not checked for spelling/grammatical errors...feel free to ridicule me if it helps your self confidence**

bried

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 09:30:45 AM »
I review LSD frequently for the occasional post or thread to help guide me through the pre-law experience, tolerating commentary from some misguided people.  The pettiness in this thread truly ranks among the worst.

The post by "Noone likes elitists" just may be the most useful these boards have seen, as it appears a number of people stand to benefit greatly.