Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with Trasferring/Do I have a shot?  (Read 3862 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Trasferring/Do I have a shot?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
A legal employer could give a flying rat's you-know-what about what someone got on the LSAT.  And yes, while ivy/ivy is nice, ivy UG with a JD from a d**mned good school followed by something like magna cum laude or Order of the Coif or Editor in Chief is a lot nicer.

I agree. Employers can't even ask you about your LSAT. It's against ABA guidlines.There are a number of reasons that people attend the schools they attend, and one's LSAT score is not always indicative of those reasons.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »
We'll be sad to see you go, but at the same time, the more people near the top that transfer, the more room there is for me to move up.   ;)

DanielAdams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:12 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but when did it become acceptable to post one's academic achievements in a public forum? While it is entirely acceptable to discuss grades in the context of seeking advice, I could have gone without the last two gpa updates.

Be courteous to your classmates.

Dan

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »
I think it's fine to share numbers. We're all adults here.

In fact, sharing grades will help others give him a realistic opinion, and let other people gauge their own chances, comparitively.

DanielAdams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 09:12:55 PM »
"We're all adults here."

I'm asking for a measure of modesty, not maturity. It is possible to gain informed insight without bi-weekly gpa updates.

mailbox

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
"In fact, sharing grades will help others give him a realistic opinion, and let other people gauge their own chances, comparitively."

Dear, Andi, et al.,

Give me a break.  Lets be honest about what this little exercise is.  Its a way for people to fish for compliments and reassurances about their abilities.

Do you have a shot?  Yeah, you do.  But you already knew that when you earned over a 3.8 GPA.  And were you really not going to apply to Duke because some schmuck on this discussion forum knew a buddy who's ex-girlfriend's old roommate didn't get in and she had a 3.9 as a 1L. 

Apply. See what happens.  Then leave and join the elite of the world. Maybe you all can gather around and talk about who was high school validictorian. 

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 10:50:26 PM »
"In fact, sharing grades will help others give him a realistic opinion, and let other people gauge their own chances, comparitively."

Dear, Andi, et al.,

Give me a break.  Lets be honest about what this little exercise is.  Its a way for people to fish for compliments and reassurances about their abilities.

Do you have a shot?  Yeah, you do.  But you already knew that when you earned over a 3.8 GPA.  And were you really not going to apply to Duke because some schmuck on this discussion forum knew a buddy who's ex-girlfriend's old roommate didn't get in and she had a 3.9 as a 1L. 

Apply. See what happens.  Then leave and join the elite of the world. Maybe you all can gather around and talk about who was high school validictorian. 

After further consideration, I think I have been - and with good reason - corrected, and that this is, in fact, the correct answer...

I forgot that, as pointed out by my distinguished counterpart above, most people who post here are egotistical ass masters who need constant validation in order to feel better about themselves. And after I think about it, asking if you have a chance when you already know you do definately qualifies you for this esteemed status.

But f#@k it, I don't really care anyway...

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  I did not anticipate people knowing who I was, much less getting upset over grades.  However, I removed all posts.  I hope this helps.  I wish people didn't get this upset or worked-up over grades, *sigh*. 

Hope you all have a wonderful summer!
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

mailbox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »
I wish people didn't get this upset or worked-up over grades, *sigh*. 

Allow me to clear a couple things up.  1)in no way did this thread, or anything else, get me upset or worked up over grades; 2)I think that using these forums to predict someone's chances of "getting in," whether into law school initially or via transfer is a pretty worthless exercise.  There are people who do have this knowledge, they are called guidance counselors.  Seek them out if you see fit. 

That said, I wanted to clarify one other point.  Its not that this thread, or posting your grades generally, offends me.  It doesn't.  It does however, dissapointment me.  Being at the top of your class is definitely something to be proud of, but why flash it all over the internet?  Did you really need to say that you were #11 in your class with a 3.83 GPA (A, A, A, A-, B+ in the first semester, from another post, right?) to get the "advice" you were looking for?  This just smacks of people who sit around and talk about how much money they make, to the dollar.  Whatever your noble intentions, it comes off to me as concieted. *sigh*

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »
Problem fixed as well.  I don't like confrontations.  Sorry once again.
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi