Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with Trasferring/Do I have a shot?  (Read 3921 times)

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help with Trasferring/Do I have a shot?
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
I didn't mean to insult anyone.  I was honestly trying to get help, since its impossible to find much help anywhere in terms of transferring.

If I insulted or offended anyone, those were not my intentions.  I hope deleting the posts helps.  Best of luck to everyone!
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

oh

Re: Help with Trasferring/Do I have a shot?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »
Most schools have transfer write-ons.  However, kiss your gpa and rank goodbye.  Eveything gets wiped clean.

For more info:

groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
I transferred to a school of similar rank as Emory last summer. Talking to people at UC-Davis it seems that about six people transferred up to UCLA, Stanford, Harvard, NYU etc.  A ranking of #11 (if you kept it) would put you in good stead for any school in the top 14 but it's probably a shot in the dark as to which ones specifically would take you.

GPA and rank don't transfer BUT I imagine that most schools, like Davis, allow you to put all of that into your resume anyways for OCI. They want you to get a great job just as much as you do. However, many schools in the top 14 don't rank (or so I have heard) so it really probably doesn't matter; you'll get put in the pool of all of the school's students and likely get a big firm job if you want one.

Law review likely depends on the school.  In general I hear that most schools will hold a separate write-on competition for transfer students (as Davis did) but be aware that often the Law Review may simply not have space for anyone new.  Remember though that there are likley some journals you can join without needing to write-on.  Good luck!

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
I know a guy who transferred from my school (similar rank to Emory) to Boalt.  He wrote on to law review.  He also said Boalt students were really hostile towards transfers, which conflicts with my understaning of Boalt students. 

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 05:56:31 PM »
If you conduct yourself kindly you can probably avoid the colness that I was warned I would experience. No one really will care all that much.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 03:55:38 AM »
transfer to penn.  it's what you know and i can't imagine that you would receive any untoward treatment from your fellow quakers.  the two schools with the largest enrollment are, i believe, harvard and gulc.  you could go to either and disappear among a sea of faces, but who wants that? 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:38:29 PM »
Transfer.  Your Emory acheivements will likely still be seen/reviewed by the interviewing firms anyways.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »
Only transfer if you hate Emory or are dead set on going into academia, and even then only if you get in to Harvard or Yale.  Being an editor of the law review at Emory is more distinctive than being a UVA or Penn JD.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 11:46:47 AM »
  Talking to a partner at the firm I'm working this summer, he basically told me that he would hire someone from the top 10 of Emory far faster than he'd hire a john-doe at Harvard.  *sigh*  What do you all think?

if you get in an ivy, go.  i bet any employer would want an ivy/ivy resume on the team.  plus, an ivy-honors/non-ivy resume just screams low lsat. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
A legal employer could give a flying rat's you-know-what about what someone got on the LSAT.  And yes, while ivy/ivy is nice, ivy UG with a JD from a damned good school followed by something like magna cum laude or Order of the Coif or Editor in Chief is a lot nicer.