Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can "nice" and "lawyer" coexist?  (Read 1244 times)

Joey_JD2b

• View Profile
Re: Can "nice" and "lawyer" coexist?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:50:32 AM »
never take advise from someone who takes it in the ass.

Such pearls of wisdom of should not be wasted on this discussion board.  Seeing you are THE "wiseone," please publish these priceless proverbs so philosophers through the ages may marvel at your wisdom and intellect as we marvel at the wisdom and intellect of Socrotes and Plato today.  Those of us who have feasted on this morsel thank you and anxiously await the next.

Edit:  I am simply amazed how a simple threat asking "Can "nice" and "lawyer" coexist?" suddenly become an opportunity to bash a gay person simply because the opportunity arises.  How sad a simple people are we?   :-[

KSpW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:07:45 AM »
I donít know about litigators but I think most corporate lawyers who are working for the big law firms spend their time writing due diligences and advising their clients on the legal issues. Whatís not to be nice about? Its true there is a lot of competition. However, there is a lot of competition everywhere. Anyway, in the end smart people (and there are a lot of smart people among lawyers) realize  that they need friends and connections to succeed.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
you dont have to be nasty but some times things can turn really ugly and only the tough survive.  Remember though that despite large cities the legal communities tend to remember eachother so being professional goes a long way in the future as most likely you will face lawyers more than once.  I have heard of firms timing court filings so the case gets filed at the last possible second before the xmas holiday, forcing the other attorney to work through xmas and new years.  There is also a famous deposition from a top lawyer in Texas I believe, and well it shows you how nasty things can turn.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12sqYYLJxA&search=deposition

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 04:28:10 AM »
I'm a nice guy.  I'm not a pushover, but I tend to take things easy and not hold grudges.  Do I have to be nasty to be a successful lawyer?
Sure, just try to distinguish your private life from your work, and you're going to be allright.

Remember

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »
if you are a lawyer(in China, lawyer means only prvite practioner, a judge we call only a judge), as a lawyer itself can be shield of "being nice",because our professional belife is Obiective, Rasonable towards every good or bad but being nice is out of question.like an ALTERNATIVE DESPUTE RESOLUTION.LOL.But sometimes, I am sure this is abused by some real jerks.

anyway, trying to be nice to people around you as possible as you can, then there is no need to blame yourself.