Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you rather be......  (Read 1702 times)

mecarr

Would you rather be......
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:11:32 AM »
If you were an incoming 1L, would you rather have a nice lsat (158) & poor gpa (2.5) , or low lsat (150) & high gpa (3.7)? Which group would be better off or have more of an edge?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Would you rather be......
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:13 AM »
nice lsat.  gpa could be product of easy major. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 02:46:11 PM »
If you look at the LSAC indices, most schools give a lot more weight to LSAT.
Georgetown

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:52:14 PM »
Depends- I had a high LSAT, lower gpa (product of laziness not inability).  I did not get into a couple schools that are gpa whores (UCLA & Boalt).  I also was WL at another school & then they ended up needing high gpa ppl to bring up their stats, so I was SOL.  Also, high gpa you can put on your resume.   

As far as law school success, I don't know which is better- I would argue LSAT but I am biased. 

wareagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »
High LSAT is better.

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:08:44 AM »
I can safely say LSAT.  I had a 3.81ugpa and 3.7ggpa from an Ivy and a 157 LSAT and schools like UCLA and GW rejected me and schools like ND and Boalt waitlisted me. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get the choice. 
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

mecarr

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 01:34:59 AM »
I meant to ask whether you would feel more confident starting law school with a high undergrad gpa & low lsat or vice versa. Assume you got into whatever school you wished.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 02:24:16 AM »
I meant to ask whether you would feel more confident starting law school with a high undergrad gpa & low lsat or vice versa. Assume you got into whatever school you wished.

if i'm already in at harvard, then i would rather be the 4.0/169 cat versus the 3.0/179 dude simply because i can put summa on my resume.

now who would i want to be at the beginning of the app cycle?  no contest 3.0/179.  i would bet the 179 gets more money than the 169.  hell, i bet the 179 could send in his apps sans app fees and get accepted.  a 179 is it's own fee-waiver.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

I really don't think it matters.  You could say people who do well on LSAT are good test takers and perform well under the stress & time pressure.  On the other hand, writing a cohesive essay on complex issues is a lot different than multiple choice.  The thing is once you get to law school it is really taboo to talk about your gpa/ lsat scores, so I have no way to gauge others performance on their numbers.

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 07:35:13 PM »
Once you are in, it really doesn't matter.  I have one of the lowest LSATs in the class and yet, I'm at the top of my class.  Yet, one of my closest friends had a HIGH LSAT and a low GPA and he's not far behind me. 

The LSAT and GPAs become irrelevant once you are in.  It call comes down to how hard you study and practice.
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi