Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Mason - Courses  (Read 5250 times)

Backpack

• View Profile
George Mason - Courses
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback from some current GMU Law students regarding the quality of the classes, and if possible, the corporate law classes in particular (but anything would help).  I'm really on the fence right now about attending GMU versus the University of Iowa.  Ultimately I want to attend the school with the stronger Mergers and Acquisitions-related coursework. 

So far I've researched the courses that were offered throughout the 2005-2006 academic year and GMU seems to have more of the corporate-related courses.  And, I was particularly pleased to see that the school has a Corporate Acquisitions class in particular.  Have people been pleased with their coursework in this area?

Does the school do a good job of offering a variety of classes or does it recycle the same set of classes semester after semester (this is what happened in my two prior graduate programs)?

Thank you in advance for the help... I really appreciate it!!

Backpack

• View Profile
Re: George Mason - Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:32:46 AM »
Any info at all would be a huge help.  Thanks!!

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:56:21 AM »
Choosing a school based on what amounts to maybe 3 courses seem like a huge gamble.  What if the prof that teaches those courses goes on sabbatical or visits somewhere else?  In the end, every school will offer enough corporate classes to satiate your thirst, and you can always write an IS paper on what really revs your engine.  Go to Iowa - better school, less cost, not in DC.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
I considered GMU. It really is on the rise. But the faculty is very, very conservative. And its grads have to contend with GULC and GW grads for jobs in the DC market (very few GMU grads get jobs outside of the DC area.)
Georgetown

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »
You can look up past course listing on the website.  Go to the course schedule archives (at the bottom of the course schedule page) to see course listings from the last 10 years.

I haven't taken anything in business law type stuff yet, though, so I don't know much.  Lerner, who teaches one of the business associations classes, is excellent (had him for another class), don't know about the other guy.  Zywicki is supposed to be great for bankruptcy as well (don't know how much related bankruptcy is too what you're looking for, but they require BA before or concurrently, so I guess it must have some applications).

(username out of date)

Backpack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
I really, really appreciate the feedback.

Lenny, that's a really great point.  The only thing I would add is that the number of business-related courses at GMU, apparently, significantly outnumbers those at Iowa.  I'm curious, though, as to why you say Iowa is a better school.  Is that because of the rankings, or are there other factors that you know of?

1lbored, thank you for your post.  You've made me even more excited about GMU.  The courses  on the website seem to show that GMU has a heavy emphasis on business.  Is that what you've found?  Are many of the 2Ls and 3Ls focusing in this area?  It seems like GMU, with the focus on economics, would have logically established some sort of critical mass in the business arena.  Just out of curiousity, what program are you in/studying?

Thanks again!!