Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Time offender act and Law School.  (Read 640 times)

vanta

• View Profile
    • Email
First Time offender act and Law School.
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:50:06 PM »
HI,

I am currently on the first time offenders in GA. Ofcourse this experience negatively and positively changed my life, giving me proper perpestive on my life and the people I hung around.

My question is this. What about law school and the bar. By the time I take the bar if I get into law school, my "conviction" will be 7 years old. Is this an issue. I am prepared to be as honest as possible when applying to law school. Is this a lost cause?

Please, I need some type of advice,
Thank you in advance.

Will

WaxPoetic

• View Profile
Re: First Time offender act and Law School.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:25:56 AM »
It probably depends.  At the beginning of the year (my 1L year), the ethics director of my state bar gave a talk to my class and was asked a similar question.  In this case, the concerned student committed a DUI 5 years ago, I think.  The ethics director responded--and the dean of students agreed--that so long as it was your first and only transgression--and, most importantly, that you disclose it fully for the bar AND on your law school application--you needn't worry about reprecussions re not being admitted to the bar.

One caveat was voiced, though: if the transgression was a a violent felony or misdemeanor, or possession of pounds and pounds of a controlled substance, all bets are off.

But, assuming your act with the requisite honesty, the bar (in New Jersey, anyway) will most likely ignore any "youthful indiscretions," to use my dean's phrase.
Attending: Seton Hall

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »
I agree, it all depends on the severity and the number of violations.  I have heard of a person with over 100 parking tickets, which were all paid, not being admitted to the bar.  The rationale was that he clearly did not respect the law.  Many people have had small violations, such as MIP (minor in possession) or even DUI's and still been admitted.  Those with drug or alcohol convictions stand a much greater chance of being admitted if they admit to there problems and seek professional help.  Some more violent crimes will be a complete road block to admission.  Most notably a convicted murderer was paroled, went to ASU Law, took and passed the Arizona bar, but failed the moral character fitness.  He admitted his crime and took his case all the way to the Arizona S.C. but still lost because his crime was so violent.  Time can certainly help but it really depends on the infraction, with lesser infractions they are willing to look past it, while more violent and serious infractions will most likely prevent admission. 

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:53 AM »
you can contact your state bar and inquire about your chances.  i hope it all works out.  good luck.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.