Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Jobs after 1L  (Read 1104 times)

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Summer Jobs after 1L
« on: May 15, 2006, 08:16:33 PM »
What are people doing for summer jobs after 1L? If you go to a pretty good school in the top 14, how hard would it be go set up a summer job at a law firm?

LALaw04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Summer Jobs after 1L
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:37:30 AM »
A lot more firms are recruiting 1Ls these days, while 5 years ago it was virtually unheard of for a 1L to get a firm summer gig.  Try to get into a summer program if you can...the money and experience will be worth it.  But if it doesn't pan out, use the summer to do something law related that you'll enjoy.  Take the opportunity to explore something you might not be able to once you graduate.
I created these for some friends.  Enjoy:

http://www.cafepress.com/lawgear

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:08:59 AM »
I got a summer associate position at a firm in Phoenix (not a national firm but a regional firm)(with a pretty good weekly salary ($2,400)) so it is possible to get a firm position and not be from a T14. I interviewed for it back in January so all they look at is the 1st semester grades and a writing sample

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the information. NALP looks like it lists law firms that hire 1L's if that helps anyone else looking into this.

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »
I got a paid job at Lord, Bissell & Brook ($2200 a week).  :-)  I'm pretty darn happy, as this will pay for my tuition next year!
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:26:40 PM »
Damn. That's a lot of money. I'm going to NYU next year and I'm hoping to get something like that in Atlanta.