Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law review really worth it?  (Read 13027 times)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is law review really worth it?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
Besides, two years after you graduate the only two things that will matter are where you graduated from and if you were on Law Review. 

You mean besides work experience, area of expertise, legal connections, and reputation?  In that case, I agree with you.

I never understood why law review is considered prestigous at schools where it is a write on competition.  You write one good paper and you have something to brag about for you entire life?  At my school it is 1L grades, and you can also try to write on during the summer.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 05:25:50 PM »
You might find something that you like to do on Law Review. I didn't like the editing, but I'm mostly reading and reviewing articles now which I love doing. As far as writing the note, I don't know anybody who liked the write-on competition, so I don't think you're unique in that respect. However, since you're an excellent writer you'll have a good chance at getting published. This could be an opportunity for you to sharpen your academic writing and get published before you graduate which is a huge plus for whatever career you enter.

Ultimately, it's up to you, and I think you know you'll do well no matter what you choose. You're in the top 20% at a great school which is a huge accomplishment unto itself. However, everybody I talked to (professors, friends who graduated from law school, other students) after I was invited on, and feeling frustrated with the workload told me that law review is defintely worth it and is the only way to get your foot in the door for many jobs.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

I'm going to "suck it up" and turn the note in.  I have no idea if it will turn out ok, but at least it will be an attempt.  At this point, I won't be in tears if I don't get an invitation.

Thanks again!

violaterra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »
I am a 0L so I have a year before I have to worry about this, but I am curious about something.  Can you do Law Review and Moot Court?  I really don't have a whole lot of interest in Law review, but I know now that I want to get on the Moot Court team. What is the general consensus on the two?

Good Luck Jacy!
DePaul Fall 06 1L

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »
Besides, two years after you graduate the only two things that will matter are where you graduated from and if you were on Law Review. 

You mean besides work experience, area of expertise, legal connections, and reputation?  In that case, I agree with you.

I never understood why law review is considered prestigous at schools where it is a write on competition.  You write one good paper and you have something to brag about for you entire life?  At my school it is 1L grades, and you can also try to write on during the summer.

I think what John Galt was trying to say is that law review is a lasting academic credential, and as other academic credentials become less important, law review is unique in that has lasting power.  In this I think JG is laregly correct, though I think that two years out, grades are still highly relevant.

As to it being just one paper, this describes a lot of things in law school.  Plus, it's not like the gravity of the paper isn't made clear up front.  Law Review is held in high regard b/c, regardless of the application process, the members of the law review have demonstrated their ability to out compete the majority of their peers, and this holds true in a write-on competition. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:12:29 AM »
I am a 0L so I have a year before I have to worry about this, but I am curious about something.  Can you do Law Review and Moot Court?  I really don't have a whole lot of interest in Law review, but I know now that I want to get on the Moot Court team. What is the general consensus on the two?

Good Luck Jacy!

It depends I think by the school.  My school will allow people to do law review/journal, and also be on the general moot court team/society.  However, people on law review are NOT allowed to be on moot court special teams.  Being on a special team for moot court guarantees you trips to big competitions nationwide;  for 2Ls, you start competiting in the spring. It's my understanding that during the spring of 2L is when you're working on your comment and trying to get published (though maybe I'm off?).  So that's a conflict that's not allowed.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 11:11:13 AM »
It depends on the school. At my school (AZ) you can be both on Law Review and on the Moot Court team. Also, 2nd year writers on Law Review write their comment during the fall semester.

silvercannonca

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
Depends on the school you are at.  If you are already at a T1 school, no, why bother, you'll get a job without.  Two friends went to 2 different Tier 1's (Georgetown and Stanford) and neither one did law review.  Both are at big firms making big bucks because of the school.  If you are in a low tier school, then definately do it, unless you've a job waiting, because it shows that you can write even if you are at low tier school

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 04:25:33 PM »

As to it being just one paper, this describes a lot of things in law school. 

True.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »

I'm not talking about getting a job interview. Those factors are all highly relevant when trying to get your first job. My point was in two years nobody is going to care what we got on our contracts or torts exams, but law review will still count.