Law School Discussion

Is law review really worth it?

denk

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
Re: Is law review really worth it?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 05:17:55 AM »

If you can find Volokh's "Academic Legal Writing", he has an entire chapter as to why law review is worth pursuing.

This was a great pointer.  Thanks for the book reference.  It has a wonderful foreword by Judge Alex Kozinski.  The first part of the book is available here:

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/writing/a25.pdf

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 08:15:53 AM »

I never understood why law review is considered prestigous at schools where it is a write on competition.  You write one good paper and you have something to brag about for you entire life?  At my school it is 1L grades, and you can also try to write on during the summer.

At my school, it is both grades and a write on competition. Thta way we don't have as many of those kids who get good grades but can't write (after all writing an A answer to a Contracts exam is different than writing a good note). Also, I think write ons are valuable becasue it makes the top of the class put in some effort to get on the journal. Otherwise you might have people who feel it is their right, not a reward. Also, our writing competition is completely seperate from the not eor comment you end up writing. So you can't just write one good paper. You need the grades and the writing skills to get on, then you work on your paper for law review then about a third of us actually get it published. The tech checking is a pain and it is very time consuming but I think the skills were worth it. I am interning with a judge now and believe that my attention to detail in re citations and the such are heads and shoulders above those clerks or interns who were not on journal.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 08:33:28 AM »
i think alot of schools use a combination of grades and write competition.

i think its a little off base to say that some one on law review is a 'great writer'.  its probably more accurate to say, that someone on law review is a hard worker and good legal writer.  i dont think there is necessarily a corelation between being a 'good' writer and being on law review.  its not shakespeare.  its legal writing.   

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »
i believe this is the first time in my history on this message board that anyone has agreed with a statement i made.  im pretty proud of myself. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »
I actually agree with RB too.  Many good writers seriously struggled in legal writing this year, and had no idea why.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 09:21:54 AM »
Yeah, legal writing runs contrary to everything I learned in HS and undergrad. Training in English and History was about the worst thing I could have done in terms of being succinct. English profs encouraged use of a varied vocabulary whereas my legal writing prof would circle any SAT level word with TCW (throat clearing word) in the margin.

We had a guy in my legal writing section with a Ph.D in English and who had taught high school English and Latin for a few years. He managed to miss out on the CALI both semesters.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 02:28:05 PM »
Yeah, legal writing runs contrary to everything I learned in HS and undergrad. Training in English and History was about the worst thing I could have done in terms of being succinct. English profs encouraged use of a varied vocabulary whereas my legal writing prof would circle any SAT level word with TCW (throat clearing word) in the margin.

We had a guy in my legal writing section with a Ph.D in English and who had taught high school English and Latin for a few years. He managed to miss out on the CALI both semesters.

Speaking of legal writing (which totally screwed me over) and "TCW's". Isn't it funny how legal writing instrutor's always speak of being succinct, and then whenever you read a Supreme Court opionion there are always throat clearing words and sometimes just fictitous words all over the place?  ???

I guess all pompus judges did horribly in legal writing as well. I feel better now at least.

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 09:09:40 PM »
That's true, but read the SCOTUS briefs. Now those are very well-written. I don't think it matters how the Justices write; it's the people who convince the Justices to find for them who really know how to write. You taking Con Law II with Gey? I was in his Con Law I class and he's awesome.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 10:13:14 PM »
That's true, but read the SCOTUS briefs. Now those are very well-written. I don't think it matters how the Justices write; it's the people who convince the Justices to find for them who really know how to write. You taking Con Law II with Gey? I was in his Con Law I class and he's awesome.

Nah. I think I might throw up if I was in Gey's class. He's waaaaay too liberal for me. I'm waiting until Spring and will take Stern for Con Law II. From what I've heard, Gey doesn't even bother to hide what his Political affiliation is. I took Stern for Con Law I, and after a whole semester I have no idea if he's a Republican, Democrat or Martian. Which is a good thing.

eray01

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:26 PM »
Lincoln brings up a good point.

I recall some professor/author, in talking about the benefits law review, noting that it is the couth way to publicly let everyone know that you were at the top of your law class.
For example, you would sound like an ENORMOUS d-bag if you mentioned "top 20% of my class" in conversation (though I would not put it past some people on this board to do that). But if you casually mention law review, everyone knows you were near the top and/or were a great writer.

Yeah, that would be a d-bag thing to say. That's about as d-bag as if the police were to show up on a noise complaint to a post-exams party, and someone were to yell at them when they get out of the car, "Hey, were law students!" That's textbook law school d-bag.