Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law review really worth it?  (Read 12962 times)

tenth8sphere

Re: Is law review really worth it?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
The proper answer is:

If you make it onto law review, it is TOTALLY worth it. If you try and fail, then it would have totally been a waste of time and you are SO glad you didn't get on.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 11:48:26 PM »
Itís all good.

so you're not this guy?

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=JohnGaltLSD

He's got a profile under the pre law side as JohnGalt. 
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

GoDawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 09:47:30 PM »
I'm so glad this post is here because I am having the same problem. However, my school has several journals...I'm sure I won't make law review (mediocre grades/legal writing grade) but I may have a shot at one of the others. I have NO desire to do this at all and my goal is to work in a small/mid-size firm.

I do, however, have a huge interest in moot court/mock trial and I think my chances are very good at making one or the other (moot court, of course will be first priority).

I've been stewing over this all day...cause I have to buckle down tomorrow if so...

If I'm extremely confident that I'll make moot court/mock trial and have no desire to do a journal, do you still think a journal essential to get a firm job, and thus I should do it anyway?

I'm getting very mixed responses but if I decide to do it, my life is going to be hell for the next week (cause i'm in summer school AND have a job).

Thanks in advance!

(ps...I'm at a Teir 1 school but not a T14)

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2006, 12:02:46 AM »
A different person; must be another objectivist.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »
A different person; must be another objectivist.

If that is what you would have us believe....
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

If you can find Volokh's "Academic Legal Writing", he has an entire chapter as to why law review is worth pursuing.

This was a great pointer.  Thanks for the book reference.  It has a wonderful foreword by Judge Alex Kozinski.  The first part of the book is available here:

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/writing/a25.pdf

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 10:15:53 AM »

I never understood why law review is considered prestigous at schools where it is a write on competition.  You write one good paper and you have something to brag about for you entire life?  At my school it is 1L grades, and you can also try to write on during the summer.

At my school, it is both grades and a write on competition. Thta way we don't have as many of those kids who get good grades but can't write (after all writing an A answer to a Contracts exam is different than writing a good note). Also, I think write ons are valuable becasue it makes the top of the class put in some effort to get on the journal. Otherwise you might have people who feel it is their right, not a reward. Also, our writing competition is completely seperate from the not eor comment you end up writing. So you can't just write one good paper. You need the grades and the writing skills to get on, then you work on your paper for law review then about a third of us actually get it published. The tech checking is a pain and it is very time consuming but I think the skills were worth it. I am interning with a judge now and believe that my attention to detail in re citations and the such are heads and shoulders above those clerks or interns who were not on journal.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 10:33:28 AM »
i think alot of schools use a combination of grades and write competition.

i think its a little off base to say that some one on law review is a 'great writer'.  its probably more accurate to say, that someone on law review is a hard worker and good legal writer.  i dont think there is necessarily a corelation between being a 'good' writer and being on law review.  its not shakespeare.  its legal writing.   

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »
I agree with RB, I think you have to be a good technical writer to make LR (no spelling, grammar, citing, formatting, flow, and conciseness problems and it is well thought out) rather than some sort of literary scholar.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »
i believe this is the first time in my history on this message board that anyone has agreed with a statement i made.  im pretty proud of myself.