Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law review really worth it?  (Read 12172 times)

LALaw04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is law review really worth it?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:34:48 AM »
Law Review is definitely a mixed blessing.  Thing is, 10 years into your career, it will still be on your resume or in your firm bio or whatever.

If you hate the process as much as you say, take the as a cue to what kind of law you might want to practice when you get out.  You mentioned that you may not be into the big firm thing.  That's probably a good call.  The monotony of writing and editing required by law review is not unlike what you might expect to experience for your first few years of practice.
I created these for some friends.  Enjoy:

http://www.cafepress.com/lawgear

3hell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 09:24:44 PM »
you will certainly not die if you don't make law review, but in your shoes it would be a big help (imo). if you had the grades to grade on or just shy, then i think you'd be better off transferring than staying and being on law review. but the fact is that grades are paramount; although again, if your grades are good but not stellar then i think it could be a pretty nice bonus. but no worries if you don't do it.

thelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 02:44:47 PM »
yes

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 01:15:28 AM »
Besides, two years after you graduate the only two things that will matter are where you graduated from and if you were on Law Review. 

You mean besides work experience, area of expertise, legal connections, and reputation?  In that case, I agree with you.

I'm not talking about getting a job interview. Those factors are all highly relevant when trying to get your first job. My point was in two years nobody is going to care what we got on our contracts or torts exams, but law review will still count. 

This from a guy who hasnt started law school yet?

Not saying LR isn't important, cause it is, but what does this guy know about its prestige when he hasn't started school yet?
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 03:51:03 AM »
uh...I'm pretty sure I finished two years already.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 09:12:12 AM »
uh...I'm pretty sure I finished two years already.

Did you? My bad then... I thought you were in the application cycle currently... maybe someone else from LSN with the same name??  Sorry
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2006, 01:27:20 PM »
Itís all good.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »
There is a "whoisjohngalt" registered under the PRE-LAW boards who was applying this past cycle.  That's probably where the mix-up originated.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »
I know Jacy, and am willing to bet $10 she makes law review. 

:)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
I'm more than grateful for the confidence, but part of me is still thinking I should take that bet, and win $10 when I don't!   ;) :D

Seriously though, I want to thank everyone that was encouraging/motivating.  The replies I got really helped, even though it made me a little sad that other people seeking the same sort of encouragement seemed to get unkind words. It was great to hear that I wasn't the only one that absolutely hated the process.  I'm glad its over, and will find out sometime in early July if I made it.