Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from Hofstra!  (Read 989 times)

Law_Dude00

• View Profile
Transferring from Hofstra!
« on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »

I am a soon to be 1L at Hofstra.  I am wondering about the transferring opportunities for me, assuming I am in the top 10 - 15% percent of my class. Would transferring to other NYC top law schools be out of the question, or UC-Berkely? What about other tier 2 schools, Loyola-LA, USD, Hastings, BC, BU, USC, BLS, Yeshiva, Fordham? 

BK84

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from Hofstra!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:05:50 AM »
Check out the tranferapps group on yahoo, you can find alot of great tranfer information

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
perhaps you should see how you do first semester before thinking about transfering. Assuming you will be in the top 10-15& of your class is assinine.
check the footnotes ya'll

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »

I am a soon to be 1L at Hofstra.  I am wondering about the transferring opportunities for me, assuming I am in the top 10 - 15% percent of my class. 

It's hillarious how every 1L assumes that they will be in the top 10/15% of the class.  The funny thing about that is... only 10/15% of them actually are able to do it.
pudding is delightful

Law_Dude00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »
Thank you BK84 for referring me to the group on Yahoo. Lipper, I understand being in the top 10-15% will be extremely difficult, but I don't understand what's wrong with exploring the idea. This way, say I do find myself in the top 10-15% I know what options I have available to me. Also check the spelling on your smart remarks, its asinine not assinine, jerk.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 03:02:39 AM »
Also check the spelling on your smart remarks, its asinine not assinine, jerk.

It was a pun.
check the footnotes ya'll

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »
Coming from Hofstra, T3, you would need likely top 10% if you want a shot at Columbia (4th), NYU (4th) and Cornell (13th). I'd probably even say top 5% to be competitive for Columbia/NYU. Same for Berkley (8th). You'd also need some interesting personal reasons for wanting to leave New York for San Francisco.

Fordham is attainable with top 20%. I do not know their transfer policy (how many they tend to accept) but I know a handful of T4/T3s that have gotten into that Top 30 range while only being in the top 25% of the class.

BC (27th) and BU (22nd) are not T2 by the way.

The other T2s you listed would probably be in reach with a top 25% ranking.

The general breakdown, and I stress general, could be viewed as follows:

From a T3:
Top 14: 5%-10%
14-25: 10%-15%
26-50: 10%-25%
50+: 25%

And Iím positive there are exceptions on both ends of those percentiles. Just throwing that out there as a guide.

And the Yahoo page will always be more of a help than this.

Air Force JAG Corps

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
there's a poll on the yahoo group.  it looks like 75% of those polled went to their respective schools w/ the goal of transferring up. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.