Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Schools To Avoid At All Costs!  (Read 75652 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law Schools To Avoid At All Costs!
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2009, 03:21:04 AM »
To the Tier 1-3 students who are so insecure about themselves as to come onto a board and attempt to belittle what others have worked hard to achieve: Enjoy loneliness.  You will not be successful with that attitude, I assure you.  Your personality wins over people, NOT your LSAT, GPA, class rank, etc.  These mean absolutely zero in the end.  What matters is your passion, passing of the Bar, and treatment of others (clients, employees alike).  Its sad to see so many that have the opportunity to go these great institutions waste it with their attitude and lack or respect for their future fellow attorney.  Some of you are in school to defend invalids and people who did not have the learning capacity to even attend college, and here you are lashing out at someone for sitting at a tier 4 law school.  I wish that these few would consider themselves privileged rather than immortal.  I also recommend changing your attitude, otherwise you may find yourself the one working for that tier 4 grad that so graciously appreciated his/her opportunities. 

I do agree with this. LSAT and career potential do not correlate. T4 schools are geared towards working adults, second career adults, cops, entertainers, and people who may not need to practice law as a career, but use law in the course of their careers. And the streets are littered with Harvard grads who thought their shyt didn't stink. lol.

But, you know who's really stupid? Hill Harper! He went to Harvard Law so he could become a Hollywood actor and "know how to read contracts and act as his own lawyer". He could have gone to Cal Western for that. On second thought, I'm sure Harvard is paid for with his million$ from tv and movies, and he can still go be a BigLawyer if he so chooses. I guess he's not THAT dumb. lol.

T4s aren't geared towards working adults, etc., they're geared towards people with bad LSATs and GPAs to match. That's why virtually every T4 and a good chunk of the T3 is a 2 1/2 - 3 year bar prep course.

Ok...working adults with suck-ass LSAT's and grades then...lol.

Much better, thank you. :)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
Would anybody avoid Cal Western @ all costs? Im strongly considering attedning, but cant get one ounce of good feedback off TLS.com

Getting any sort of scholarship?

Unfortunately not. Potentially next year.

Any chance of doing better on an LSAT retake? I don't think Cal Western would be worth it at sticker.

Honestly, i spent 6 months studying balls out for the test. I had a good study buddy and we were each getting 158's-low 160's...On test day, section 2 I had to piss SOO bad towards the end of the section. I ended up missing the last 8 straight questions on the test. This is the reason I have a 154 IMO. I really don't want to postpone my education for a year so I can attempt to retake the test. Although, I know how minimal a year, and in the long run it probably is the most prudent choice.....

honestly @#!* the LSATS, and to some degree GPA's. I understand schools having to report those numbers, but I have visited one-on-one in person with multiple 1L/2L's @ Miami, UofOregon, ASU, Chapman, Cal Western @ their school, and many of them (while they may have been bored with my pre-1L questions) could not hold/keep up with the conversation...maybe Im way off base here though..

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »
Would anybody avoid Cal Western @ all costs? Im strongly considering attedning, but cant get one ounce of good feedback off TLS.com

Getting any sort of scholarship?

Unfortunately not. Potentially next year.

Any chance of doing better on an LSAT retake? I don't think Cal Western would be worth it at sticker.

Honestly, i spent 6 months studying balls out for the test. I had a good study buddy and we were each getting 158's-low 160's...On test day, section 2 I had to piss SOO bad towards the end of the section. I ended up missing the last 8 straight questions on the test. This is the reason I have a 154 IMO. I really don't want to postpone my education for a year so I can attempt to retake the test. Although, I know how minimal a year, and in the long run it probably is the most prudent choice.....

honestly @#!* the LSATS, and to some degree GPA's. I understand schools having to report those numbers, but I have visited one-on-one in person with multiple 1L/2L's @ Miami, UofOregon, ASU, Chapman, Cal Western @ their school, and many of them (while they may have been bored with my pre-1L questions) could not hold/keep up with the conversation...maybe Im way off base here though..

154, how's your GPA? That's a decent enough LSAT and you should be able to get into a much better school than Cal Western unless your grades are really bad.

You'll find raw intelligence and conversational abilities have little to do with success in law school past a certain point.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
3.1 GPA. 2.5 GPA frosh & sophomore year. 3.7 GPA junior & senior year. So yes, in the context of prospective 0L's, my numbers are less than sub-par.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »
3.1 GPA. 2.5 GPA frosh & sophomore year. 3.7 GPA junior & senior year. So yes, in the context of prospective 0L's, my numbers are less than sub-par.

Not great, but not absolutely horrid. Just at a quick glance, you'd be competitive at both of the Arkansas', Florida International, Michigan State (at least more respectable than Cal Western even if not cheaper), North Dakota (ND is actually a nice place once you get past the snow), Oklahoma City (they'd probably give you a scholarship for your LSAT), Syracuse (see MSU explanation), and Tula (see OKC explanation).

Unless you really want to be in CA and you're ok eating the debt at Cal Western, I'd say apply to at least some of these schools if it's still possible and consider reapplying next year and maybe taking one more stab at the LSAT.

Routing No.

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »

[...]

Gulf Arab states - among the world's largest oil and gas producers - are considering nuclear power as they look to meet escalating domestic electricity demand without burning more fuel and eating into record export revenues. Analysts say they could quickly buy the technology they need, and push through the planning, financing and licensing much more quickly than would be the case in more democratic countries. Even so, Rogner said he doubted a nuclear power plant would be up and running in the Gulf before 2020. Sellers of nuclear technology might be eager for the business, but they would also be reluctant to see their product used without a fully developed industry framework in place, Rogner said. "Vendors would also be concerned," said Rogner. "They don't want their technology to be associated with any of the risks. [Gulf countries] will have to regulate and oversee a plant even if it is operated by an international operator." For that you need nuclear engineers. But there are currently no universities in the region that teach nuclear engineering, Rogner said.

The IAEA is working with the GCC on the basic requirements for nuclear power, Rogner said. It is also working with the individual countries of the GCC. The economic arguments for nuclear power in the region stack up, he said. "It is simple. If you can sell the oil for $90 rather than sticking it into your own power plant, you can make a profit that can easily help finance a nuclear power plant." When the GCC said in 2006 it was studying developing a joint nuclear energy programme, the announcement raised concern of a regional arms race between the bloc and Iran. The US and other western governments accuse Iran of attempting to develop nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies. Unlike Iran, GCC countries have proposed uranium enrichment be undertaken in a neutral country, limiting some of the potential crossover with a nuclear arms development programme. For the IAEA, the best way forward for the nuclear industry in the region is with a GCC-wide agreement, rather than for individual countries to go their own way, Rogner said. Such an approach would encourage transparency and mutual trust between the region's states, he said. If the countries go ahead on their own, the UAE probably has the edge over the rest of the Gulf Arab states after signing a nuclear cooperation deal with the French government earlier this month, Rogner said. 

Considering nuclear power to meet escalating domestic electricity demand without burning more fuel? Gimme a break! This is just an excuse to become one of the countries with the capability to produce the atomic bomb!

In France about 77% of the country's electricity comes from nuclear power. Lithuania comes in second, with an impressive 65%. Lithuania is not, and it will never be a "nuclear power" state!

theme

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

[...]

[...] The problems created by institutionalization center on the fact that any system must constantly renew itself if it is to survive. This is true for an individual, an organization, or a civilization. All systems are subject to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropic principle that a closed system will move from a state of order to disorder. But human beings and our social systems are open -- not closed systems -- meaning that they can resist entropy, at least temporarily, by ingesting energy from our environments. For any system to remain vibrant, it must constantly renew itself in a constantly changing universe. But such renewal can occur only by the system undergoing change, moving in the direction of a more orderly condition. Such demands run counter to institutional demands for stability, security, and equilibrium.

[...]

A raw egg exemplifies the asymmetry of time: a fresh one breaks easily, but a broken one does not spontaneously put itself together again, for the simple reason that there are more ways to be broken than not. In physics jargon, the broken egg has a higher entropy.

Hahaha - you're so funny, mountain!

I Love Therefore I Am

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »

Gilles Deleuze (who ironically committed suicide throwing himself from a high-rise buiding) and Félix Guattari used the term "rhizome" to describe theory and research that allows for multiple, non-hierarchical entry and exit points in data representation and interpretation. In "A Thousand Plateaus," they opposed it to an arborescent conception of knowledge, which worked with dualist categories and binary choices. A rhizome works with horizontal and trans-species connections, while an arborescent model works with vertical and linear connections. Their use of the "orchid and the wasp" was taken from the biological concept of mutualism, in which two different species interact together to form a multiplicity (i.e. a unity that is multiple in itself). Horizontal gene transfer would also be a good illustration.

Or in other words

ILEARNEDGOODSTUFF

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
Ah yes, schools to avoid.  Yes, let's just list random lower-tiered law schools.  I've got some facts for you author.  In Rhode Island and all the surrounding states, Roger Williams University School of Law is way above the average in its passage rates on the Bar Exam.

MA - 93% (tied with Boston College, trailing only Harvard and BU)
NY - 91%
CT - 90%

Overall, 90% of those who took the CT or RI bar exam passed their first time out.  All of these numbers exceed the states' average pass rates.

Finally, RWU Law was just ranked 4th in New England (a region that contains Harvard, Yale, BC, BU, Northeaster, UConn, Quinnipiac, and Suffolk), for the academic and educational accomplishments of our professors.  Please feel free to check out our faculty at http://law.rwu.edu/directory/faculty/default.aspx.

biblio

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »

Or in other words

Interesting diagram, I Love -- did you find it some place, or you sketched it yourself?
I mixed this myself. Two parts H, one part O. I don't trust anybody!