Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Schools To Avoid At All Costs!  (Read 74857 times)

Sexual Harassment Panda

• View Profile
Re: Law Schools To Avoid At All Costs!
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2006, 10:03:42 PM »
I don't know what this dumbass' problem is, but I know people who attended non-ABA accredited law schools in AL and CA who are making six figures.  That arbitrary list can't hide your insecurity.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:20 PM »
Different schools offer different opportunities. There are success stories from all of them, and as other posters have said, money isn't everyone's goal in life. I think everyone ought to be congratulated and wished luck in the law school process, whether you're at Yale on a full ride, or barely scraped Cooley - both are going to be tough, and worthwhile.

Ashe

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:06 PM »

I don't know what this dumbass' problem is, but I know people who attended non-ABA accredited law schools in AL and CA who are making six figures. 

yea right ..
GPA Umass Amherst- 3.15 Double Major: History/Political Science
LSAT: 161/164 (Avg: 163)
Applying: Suffolk, Boston University, Boston College, NESL, and Northeastern.

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »

I don't know what this dumbass' problem is, but I know people who attended non-ABA accredited law schools in AL and CA who are making six figures. 

yea right ..

Why do people make it seem like it's impossible to make 6 figures from a lower ranked school. Hell - my dad came to this country at 22 years of age with only the clothes on his back. He has had no formal american education, still has a hard time with the english language, and pulls down 6 figres per year. How is that still unreasnoable this day and age? You people must have some lazy ass family if you think it's that hard to make 6 figures if that's your goal, especially with a trade such as law under your belt. It's there for the taking, and you can get it no matter if you finish Harvard or Cooley. Take your insecurities elsewhere.

And to curb all the rants that will follow -- Yes, I'm going to a TTTT, and Yes, it's ok with me, because it fits nicely into my long term goals.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »

yea right ..

Why do people make it seem like it's impossible to make 6 figures from a lower ranked school. Hell - my dad came to this country at 22 years of age with only the clothes on his back. He has had no formal american education, still has a hard time with the english language, and pulls down 6 figres per year. How is that still unreasnoable this day and age? You people must have some lazy ass family if you think it's that hard to make 6 figures if that's your goal, especially with a trade such as law under your belt. It's there for the taking, and you can get it no matter if you finish Harvard or Cooley. Take your insecurities elsewhere.

And to curb all the rants that will follow -- Yes, I'm going to a TTTT, and Yes, it's ok with me, because it fits nicely into my long term goals.

Amen. I too am attending a T4 school in the fall, California Western School of Law. If anyone has a problem with that, that's just it, it's their problem not mine. The people who are attending T1 and T2 should be grateful that they got accepted to such schools. I mean, really, get over yourselves. I don't want to belabor the point alreadly made by others, but simply attending a T1 school does not irrevocably guarantee long-term financial or professional (however you may define either 'term')success. During your law school career you may discover that, despite the fact that you performed well in your undergraduate years and/or on the LSAT, you simply are mediocre when it comes to legal analysis. Obviously, this may not be the outcome in every case. Regardless, do us all a favor and save your self-glorifying blather for when you've actually accomplished something significant in the legal community.       

kitkat

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »
I hear good things about Widener as well, and I know a faculty member of the university who has told me that the law school does not greatly concern itself with the ranking and would rather extend opprotunities to students it feels has shown promise yet may not have proformed as well on the lsat to get into temple, rutgers, nova etc than to exclude them from law school.  I know about a dozen good prosecutors and defense attorneys (major trial da's and top dollar private attorneys) who went to widener and they are some of the most well respected lawyers in the philadelphia court system. 

DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,4302.msg34232.html#msg34232

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2006, 03:40:40 PM »
If your absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer, and you cant get into anything but a tier 4, there is no wrong in attending, especially if you are offered scholarship $$. One should definetly be aware of the risks involved because they are significant. I know first hand bc I just finished my first year at florida coastal. I was fortunate to get transfer worthy grades so im out of there, but many (most actually) are disapointed with their grades because of the forced C curve. The forced curve is a huge factor because you could be smart and work hard and still literally fail out of school. Even if you graduate, if your not at the top of the class you will have an uphill battle finding a job. There are a ton of florida coastal grads without legal jobs. Theres just soooo many lawyers out there that employers dont have to take "chances" on t4 grads. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have waited a few years, retaken the LSAT, got some kind of respectable job and reapplied. Everyone who attends a t4 thinks that they are gonna get great grades and transfer out, but the t4's have caught on to this, and the forced curve prevents all but the top from getting "transferable grades." Like I said, nothing wrong with going to a t4 but there are serious risks that many are quick to downplay. Having 100k in debt and a 40k a year job is not worth it.

sscdsvdsc

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2006, 08:11:52 AM »
If your absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer, and you cant get into anything but a tier 4, there is no wrong in attending, especially if you are offered scholarship $$. One should definetly be aware of the risks involved because they are significant. I know first hand bc I just finished my first year at florida coastal. I was fortunate to get transfer worthy grades so im out of there, but many (most actually) are disapointed with their grades because of the forced C curve. The forced curve is a huge factor because you could be smart and work hard and still literally fail out of school. Even if you graduate, if your not at the top of the class you will have an uphill battle finding a job. There are a ton of florida coastal grads without legal jobs. Theres just soooo many lawyers out there that employers dont have to take "chances" on t4 grads. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have waited a few years, retaken the LSAT, got some kind of respectable job and reapplied. Everyone who attends a t4 thinks that they are gonna get great grades and transfer out, but the t4's have caught on to this, and the forced curve prevents all but the top from getting "transferable grades." Like I said, nothing wrong with going to a t4 but there are serious risks that many are quick to downplay. Having 100k in debt and a 40k a year job is not worth it.

You can @#!* my ass. Just a note, you know.

datur

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »
I hear good things about Widener as well, and I know a faculty member of the university who has told me that the law school does not greatly concern itself with the ranking and would rather extend opprotunities to students it feels has shown promise yet may not have proformed as well on the lsat to get into temple, rutgers, nova etc than to exclude them from law school.  I know about a dozen good prosecutors and defense attorneys (major trial da's and top dollar private attorneys) who went to widener and they are some of the most well respected lawyers in the philadelphia court system. 

DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,4302.msg34232.html#msg34232

Widener is indeed a suck ass law school.

getty

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »

I consistently test in the 95th percentile on the IQ test, but that only translated into me landing in the top 95th percentile of a 4th tier law school (did you see what I did there? That was a joke). So, there's gotta be something else going on with me...

FYI, an 95% IQ only translates to an LSAT score of 154. There are many students at T4 that have a higher LSAT score than that. It's not that strange to fail at law school like you did, although you may be quite intelligent.